mtbr member
    Dec 2006

I real crankset for a real cannondale

A while back, greenhill posted a Q for a crankset recomendation for his cannondale. Now that I read all the Crank reviews I can see that there are opposing views al over the place. I saw that the Shimano LX was recomended. I ride a 2006 F600 hardtail. My current crankset is ok but cheap and is about to go. My dealer recomends FSA but I have doubts. I need a durable set. Nothing for racing. Those lightweight race parts seem to break to easy. I also like the external ball bearing idea.

What would a cannondale biker use?

LA CHÈVRE
    Shimano XT is my top pick. A good compromise of lightweight, durability and reasonable price. The LX is a bit cheaper and a bit heavier but should work just as good.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Shimano XT is my top pick. A good compromise of lightweight, durability and reasonable price. The LX is a bit cheaper and a bit heavier but should work just as good.

I second that....... value for the money, buy the XT, model FC M-760.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flankwood
    A while back, greenhill posted a Q for a crankset recomendation for his cannondale. Now that I read all the Crank reviews I can see that there are opposing views al over the place. I saw that the Shimano LX was recomended. I ride a 2006 F600 hardtail. My current crankset is ok but cheap and is about to go. My dealer recomends FSA but I have doubts. I need a durable set. Nothing for racing. Those lightweight race parts seem to break to easy. I also like the external ball bearing idea.

What would a cannondale biker use?
    If the price for FSA cranks is right go ahead and get it. It may be heavier than XT but both bearing and chainrings are better than Shimano's

mtbr member
    nice follow up, flankwood... I think when the time comes, it will be the XT for me... about a week ago I had my '06 F600 at my LBS having my headshok looked at for a very small amount of oil coming out around my rebound adjuster nob.... Well, I got very lucky, because that day there happened to be a Cannondale Rep (Mechanic) there preparing for a Demo day at a local part for this past weekend... Anyway, he volunteered to take a look at it and he found that my shock stem was slightly bent (don't ask me how) and he ended up replacing my whole shock assembly with a brand new one (sweet!)... anyway, while my front end was apart and this guy was going to town with my bike... I was picking his brain about Drive train upgrades... He said without hesitation, buy a shimano Cranks... He said either upgrade to the LX or XT.... He admitted that all his personal bikes have Cannondale SI cranks (but you know he's not paying for them).. he said if he had to buy a Crank though it would be shimano... he was'nt pushing for XTR either... he said the LX would be really good.... but if you want to save a little weight and have a little extra to spend to get the XT... for What it is worth, I felt really good about what this guy had to say... was'nt some young punk spewing at the mouth... he sounded like he had some credibility behind what he was talking about....
    anyway, just letting you know.....
    ....ps...another thought is, I'm wandering if there will be an upgraded Version of the XT for 2008... I guess the 06 and 07 were the same, no changes... I may try to hold out for this season just to see if there is a new version for 08.
    greenhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey that is a pretty good idea. I hope my ISIS drive will hold out till 08 comes out. It would atleast drop the price of the 07 models. I think I'll look in to the XT. I dont wann be cheap on the crank-its the crank! Who wants a cheap one?

mtbr member

GT Dirt Coalition
    Yup XT. Just upgraded myself. Smooooooth as melted buttah. All those ISIS BB's I've sent to an early grave sucked in comparison.