mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I Need a Hollowgram SI Spindle +10mm Longer than Standard

Pretty simple. I need a SI BB Spindle for a Set of Hollowgram cranks, but it needs to be 10mm longer than standard, all the length on the non-flanged size. Ideas?

mtbr member
    O.K... So what are you trying to do? What frame? What spider and cranks? What is the goal?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I can't say, yet, at least. I will share if I succeed. I don't want to get people's hopes up if I'm wrong.
    Anyone have any leads on this desired spindle?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Two things

1. which length are you refering to as 'standard'? there are a few different lengths out there for use on different platforms.

2. 132mm is currently the longest made............anything beyond that and yer outta luck

mtbr member
    Cannondale doesn't make longer spindle. If you want it you will have to make it yourself.
    But as far as I know it's really not needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I will have to measure it - I didn't know there were different length... here's hoping that my current spindle is 122mm!
    What is that a picture of you posted? Looks like some kind of Hollowgram retrofit on a SI BB shell - why the modification?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That is not a picture of an SI BB shell; I think that's an attempt to wedge an SI spindle/BB into a standard sized shell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You misunderstand. I was referring to the BB shell on the bike - I didn't see any threads, so I thought it was a cannondale SI. If that is a standard BB, I would like to know what that guy was/is thinking, and where the rest of the parts are! A bushing seems bad...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroXC
    That is not a picture of an SI BB shell; I think that's an attempt to wedge an SI spindle/BB into a standard sized shell.
    Actually it's a custom Ti frame with SI/BB30 compatible shell.
    What maybe puzzling are the special spacers - it's much harder to make it as C'dale intended as Ti is much harder material to work with.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Rumor has it you can retro fit SI cranks onto any standard BB using the new ZIPP outboard bearings, an SI spindle, a metal sleeve, some glue, and some ingenuity.

-R

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Zipp and Extralite make the same cups. Problem is, even on a 68mm BB shell, the spindle is too short unless you remove the granny and cross your fingers. I want a longer spindle to get the usability of all three rings on the MTB SI Hollowgram crankset (the truth comes out!). Without the spindle being longer, the cranks have difficulty pressing on fully, and the bearing sits on a narrower part of the spindle, inducing play. Maybe that's where the glue comes in, but I'd rather get a longer spindle and have it work right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Rumor has it you can retro fit SI cranks onto any standard BB using the new ZIPP outboard bearings, an SI spindle, a metal sleeve, some glue, and some ingenuity.

-R
    Ron, I think you know better than me but BB30 specs says BB shell is 68mm and you press the bearings inside so 68mm shell AND bearings will be too much for the spindle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkellison
    You misunderstand. I was referring to the BB shell on the bike - I didn't see any threads, so I thought it was a cannondale SI. If that is a standard BB, I would like to know what that guy was/is thinking, and where the rest of the parts are! A bushing seems bad...
    Nope, that shell was made to accomodate BB30 spindle and bearing natively - that plastic thing is just a spacer for the bearings. I know because the bike belongs to my father.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anyone ever thought about using needle bearings in this kind of application? Is it possible to have a needle bearing with an ID of 30mm that would accomodate the cranks? How would you support it torsionally?
    Pecka, I wasn't talking to you in the "you misunderstood me" comment
    Back to the subject - is a longer spindle possible???

mad aussie
    The carbon Cannondales with SI have a 73 width bottom bracket with a different spindle to accomodate. Not sure if you could somehow get some smaller width bearings to fit one on a standard 68 shell, but I think it would be difficult to find 2.5mm bearings.
    If you knew a good machine shop they might be able to take an aluminum spindle and machine it to the BB30 specs which I think are free to all to use since Cdale decided to no longer make them propietary.
    Seems like a lot of work when the XTR crankset is pretty damn good, (although I love my SI!)

Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkellison
    I will have to measure it - I didn't know there were different length... here's hoping that my current spindle is 122mm!
    What is that a picture of you posted? Looks like some kind of Hollowgram retrofit on a SI BB shell - why the modification?
    Unless your spindle came off a carbon rush or taurine, you probably have a 128mm. If you had an old 2x9 crankset from the early scalpels it would be 122mm. They usually have a stamp on the edge where the crankbolt goes in that tells you the size. If you do have a 122mm, I'll trade you the 122 for a 132mm. I read earlier you wanted one that was 10mm longer on the drive side, and just wanted to let you know that you really want the overall to be 10mm (or whatever you need) bigger. If you send it over to the drive side a whole 10mm, that might and probably would be, enough to be noticeably off center underneath you. If you leave your spindle short and find a 94bcd 5 bolt spider, you can just go with a 29 and a 44 or 42. Most of the time even 32 and 44 will get you by. I have some 94 bcd spiders. Good luck with your project

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    New to this:

Does Hollowgram SI = Hollowtech II? Just different names?

-Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanpez
    New to this:

Does Hollowgram SI = Hollowtech II? Just different names?

-Steve

no, hollowgram SI is the tech cannondales use, hollowtech is the one shimano use. but i gues that the tech is almost the same. but you canīt put a hollowgram crankset on a bike taht isnīt made for it, but you can put a hollowtech crankset on a frame made for hollowgram bb30 cranks.

Members who have read this thread: 0