Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I located a Rize 5 for a really good price....

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Climber Rob 
#1 ·
I don't know much about them. It is basically new and never dropped. Price is $1000. I think brand new they were $1,800.

The thing is, I've always been a Trek guy and my 10 year old 8500 has been through hell and back and I've never had a problem with it. I've never even had to adjust anything on it if you can believe that! (other than replace rear brake pads). It has all XT and XTR componentry.

I am wondering if this Cannondale full suspension bike will be as good and durable as the Trek has been. I'm the type to keep a bike for a good long while. I rode it for a little bit and it's not bad, but the brakes are really weak.... they may not even be seated in yet, that's how new the bike is. I'm not crazy about the shifters either.... the derailler is a X-9 which I've never even heard of. I get the feeling this is a very middle of the road bike, where as the Trek 8500 (in it's day) was on the higher end.

Are there any owners opinions on the Cannondale? Thank you.

#2 ·
The Rize is a great all-around frame. Depending on your riding style and the type of terrain you ride, it works great as one-bike to "do-it-all" for general trail riding. X-9 is SRAM. They make good quality stuff, and the X-9 stuff is a solid performer.

You certainly can spend a lot more money and get something with lighter (and more expensive) components, but the 5 is a very solid build, and it sounds like the bike is in great shape. It would be a great step up from your current bike, and it's easy to upgrade components as you go if you have the money and are so-inclined.

#4 ·
I have a Rize 4 and it's been a really great bike. I've upgraded to SRAM X9 shifters and deraillers and they are perfect despite my constant abuse. The frame itself is the same as all the Rize models, the only difference is the components that are bolted to it. You could do much worse for $1k.

I'm not sure what fork/shock come on the Rize 5, but if it's the Tora 302 Coil it should be fine for starters. I think the suspension choice depends mostly on you and what you prefer. If it were me, I'd be looking to upgrade over time as things wear out:

1. Shifters/Deraillers. This totally depends on how the originals perform...if it aint broke, right?
2. Fork. A Fox Float RL 140mm or RockShox Recon Gold will turn this bike into a great all mountain ride. The stock Tora 302 is fine, but lacks adjustment and finer damping quality of higher end forks.
3. Brakes. Going fast is fun, stopping is pretty important too. :D

#6 ·
Thanks for the info.

I test rode it and it's not too bad. It's basically brand new. It's a medium frame and I'm a pretty small guy 5'6" ... so it's on the larger end of things. My trek is a 15.5" frame, so the Cannondale is noticably more stretched out. The brakes feel really weak. They feel more like the old rubber pad brakes as far as power. The rest of the bike seems ok. I guess I really wouldn't know until I hit some trails. My riding is mostly fast riding hard pack trails with lots of roots, rocks, some mud and small logs to jump.

Well, I'm still thinking about it, thanks for the feedback! :cool:

#7 ·
Did you set up the suspension before you rode it? Getting the sag setup right in both shocks greatly effects the feel of the bike. You may want to start with a lower-than-suggested sag in the rear to start off, so you can slowly get the feel of the suspension activating, and adjust from there.

Brakes may need a tune-up if it's been sitting, but are a reasonably cheap and easy upgrade if you decide you want something with more power.

Good luck! Post pics if you pick it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.