Prophet converted!

Was I lied to when buying my F3 last week?

I just bought my first mtb (cannondale F3 / caffeine) from REI. Here's my question:

I was told that the bike was a 2007, which is why it was on sale (marked down to 929 from 1099). I went ahead and bought the bike. Later that day I checked the cannondale website and it looks like the specs/components/color are different. Does anyone know where I can go to get actual specs and pictures for the cannondale 2007 and 2006 models (I was told that the cannondale website is currently displaying 08 models)?

Thanks for everyones assistance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine
    I just bought my first mtb (cannondale F3 / caffeine) from REI. Here's my question:

I was told that the bike was a 2007, which is why it was on sale (marked down to 929 from 1099). I went ahead and bought the bike. Later that day I checked the cannondale website and it looks like the specs/components/color are different. Does anyone know where I can go to get actual specs and pictures for the cannondale 2007 and 2006 models (I was told that the cannondale website is currently displaying 08 models)?

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/archive/

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    Interesting....my bike doesnt match any of these. It seems to most closely resemble the 2007 model, but mine is navy blue with red lettering and some of the components are different. I dont see my bike ANYWHERE. Should I go back to REI and start asking questions?

mtbr member
    Interesting....my bike doesnt match any of these. It seems to most closely resemble the 2007 model, but mine is navy blue with red lettering and some of the components are different. I dont see my bike ANYWHERE. Should I go back to REI and start asking questions?
    Call C'dale: 1-800-BIKEUSA

Give them the serial number and they'll be able to tell you year and model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    2007 is the first year that the Caffeine was in production.The patriot blue with red lettering is a color choice for the F3.

Now for the Scooby Doo "rut-row" part. Sometimes shady bike shops(even the big ones) will swap parts off bikes on the showroom floor and replace them with other parts. This used to be a big problem before the internet when parts lists for bikes were not readily available. Some employee or even an owner would swap out parts. Big no-no.

A perfectly logical excuse can be that Cannondale decided to go with a different component spec at the factory. Sometimes the suppliers like SRAM or Shimano cannot deliver parts in a timely manner so substitutes have to be used for small things like brakes, levers possible a crankset.

Get your facts and information together and take it back to REI. Post a follow-up here. We all want to know how this pans out.

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    2007 is the first year that the Caffeine was in production.The patriot blue with red lettering is a color choice for the F3.

Now for the Scooby Doo "rut-row" part. Sometimes shady bike shops(even the big ones) will swap parts off bikes on the showroom floor and replace them with other parts. This used to be a big problem before the internet when parts lists for bikes were not readily available. Some employee or even an owner would swap out parts. Big no-no.

A perfectly logical excuse can be that Cannondale decided to go with a different component spec at the factory. Sometimes the suppliers like SRAM or Shimano cannot deliver parts in a timely manner so substitutes have to be used for small things like brakes, levers possible a crankset.

Get your facts and information together and take it back to REI. Post a follow-up here. We all want to know how this pans out.
    After reading your post i'm wondering if the parts list i'm looking has a few mistakes (from the cannondale website). You said that the patriot blue is a color choice for the F3, but according to the website, the F3 only comes in orange and grey (The F4 comes in Patriot Blue, but this isnt the color of my bike either; mine is darker, more like a Navy Blue). In addition to the color, the other differences are:

1. Hubs
    2. Brakeset
    3. Brake levers
    4. Possibly the rear derailer (I'll double check when I get home from work)

There may be others but i'll have to check when I get home.

Do you know of any other sources where I could get a parts list for the F3? Here is what I have from the cannondale website:

Frame Caffeine
    Fork HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra 80 DLR
    Rear Shock N/A
    Rims Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
    Hubs Formula DC94 front, DC58 rear
    Spokes DT Swiss Champion
    Tires Hutchinson Piranha, 26 x 2.0''
    Pedals Welgo Clipless
    Crank FSA V-drive MegaExo, 22/32/44
    Chain Shimano HG-53
    Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950, 11-34
    Bottom Bracket FSA MegaExo
    Front Derailleur Shimano LX
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-9
    Shifters SRAM X-7 Trigger
    Handlebars FSA XC-282-AOS, 25mm rise
    Stem Cannondale XC3 Headshok 31.8mm
    Headset Cannondale Headshok Si
    Brakeset Avid Juicy 5 w/ 160mm rotors
    Brakelevers Avid Juicy 5
    Saddle Cannondale XC
    Seat Post FSA SP-FR-270, 31.6 x 350mm
    Colors Tangerine (gloss) (ORG), Charcoal Grey (matte) (GRY)

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...odel-7FS3.html

The GRY is for the European model. Yours seems spot on.

-Ron

wjs
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, colours Ė parts and prices are different in Europe! Prices ok, but why colours and parts?

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Different markets and different tastes. People in the states may only like Matte Black bikes while in Europe they might only like Neon green with neon decals. Same with Specs. Some countries (Germany for instance) will get specific specs just for them since they are very picky people (being the largest market in Europe it is deservedly so).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah, different specs sell better in different markeds. it's as easy as that.

anothor thing, the paint looks way different in the catalog and live sometimes. way different. notice how the team issue 07 looks white in the catalog while in person it's metallic? specs shouldn't differ though and if they do the price should be set accordingly.

Prophet converted!
    ok, I apologize to everybody. I'm an idiot... At the main Cannondale site I clicked on "English" under Europe, not the US. I realized this after looking at the link posted above, which shows the US version (which does actually match my bike). This was the problem, and again I apologize for wasting everybody's time on a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ahaha. glad that you're happy with your new bike now. but still, hehe.

not a waste of time though. didn't know about the partswapping before ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought my F3 at REI and was treated like a piece of #$@! Mine was marked down as well. They didn't even have any cleats for me! But I love my bike- fastest hardtail I've ridden and the fatty is amazing. Have you been riding yet? Congrats on the purchase, J

Is this the color?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Prophet converted!
    yep, that's the color. Super sweet bike. The word 'amazing' pretty much describes the whole bike. Although, i'm a little concerned about the adjustable head shock. For some reason the knob gets stiff, and then easy while turning. And I dont notice much difference in rebound after adjustment. The first F3 I rode at REI had a broken adustment knob (it didnt adjust and oil was leaking out of it?). The guy at REI said it must be damaged, so they grabbed another F3 out of the back room, which I purchased. It seemed to work ok there, but after a few rides i'm a little concerned. Do you have any idea what the warranty is on these bikes? I havent looked into it yet.

Like catnip for people
    yep, that's the color. Super sweet bike. The word 'amazing' pretty much describes the whole bike. Although, i'm a little concerned about the adjustable head shock. For some reason the knob gets stiff, and then easy while turning. And I dont notice much difference in rebound after adjustment. The first F3 I rode at REI had a broken adustment knob (it didnt adjust and oil was leaking out of it?). The guy at REI said it must be damaged, so they grabbed another F3 out of the back room, which I purchased. It seemed to work ok there, but after a few rides i'm a little concerned. Do you have any idea what the warranty is on these bikes? I havent looked into it yet.
    I'm not 100% on parts/forks but I think its 1 year.

But it's Lifetime on the frame...

wjs
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ok, I apologize to everybody. I'm an idiot... At the main Cannondale site I clicked on "English" under Europe, not the US. I realized this after looking at the link posted above, which shows the US version (which does actually match my bike). This was the problem, and again I apologize for wasting everybody's time on a non-issue.
    No problem, glad itís solved!

F3 is a great bike, went yesterday for a 4 hour drive and enjoyed every min. of it! Got mín about 3 weeks now and had no problems so far! Sunday I got a raid of 75 km here, see how it goes, thatís going to be though!

What is the meaning of REI?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Have you checked your air spring pressure? As far as the limited rebound after adjusting- your right- I don't feel that much of a change either, unless your locked out of course. I might be one in a million, but for 80mm and how I ride, it is perfect. I am waiting on a new saddle, cause the stock one is painful junk. J

Ride Fast

Whoever told you that cannondale's website was showing 2008 models, was wrong. They show a couple of 2008 road bikes, but no 08 mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    when I brought my bike home, the air pressure on the fatty was at 50 psi. I'm a buck fifty, so it was off a good 15 psi per C'dale's recommendations for the DLR. Just food for thought...

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Have you checked your air spring pressure? As far as the limited rebound after adjusting- your right- I don't feel that much of a change either, unless your locked out of course. I might be one in a million, but for 80mm and how I ride, it is perfect. I am waiting on a new saddle, cause the stock one is painful junk. J
    I havent checked the pressure yet. I'll have to do that tomorrow. I noticed the same thing about the saddle...riding is very painful, especially afterwards. What kind of saddle did you get? I need a new one also....

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakobie
    Whoever told you that cannondale's website was showing 2008 models, was wrong. They show a couple of 2008 road bikes, but no 08 mountain bikes.
    It was someone at a bike shop. They were supposed to be a cannondale dealer, so I expected that they knew what they were talking about. Obviously they didnt know what they were talking about.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wjs
    What is the meaning of REI?
    Recreational Equipment Incorporated: Largest Cannondale dealer in the world.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I havent checked the pressure yet. I'll have to do that tomorrow. I noticed the same thing about the saddle...riding is very painful, especially afterwards. What kind of saddle did you get? I need a new one also....

A Fizik Gobi Ti- good reviews but kinda pricey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    A Fizik Gobi Ti- good reviews but kinda pricey.
    Get a WTB saddle. I've have the Laser V on my Gemini and Rocket V on my Prophet. Both are comfortable though the Rocket is kind of narrow. Both these saddles have been ridden on extensive AM rides.

My Judge came with the Gobi Ti also. Initially I had no problems on the local DH runs. (probably because I'm hardly sitting on it) After a couple weeks in Whistler it became a pain in the butt. Especially since I was staying at a townhouse about a mile from the Village. Commuting back to the townhouse after a long day in the bike park became barely ridable.

I'll probably get the WTB Power V because it's suppose to be the DH version. I also saw a lot of these at Whistler on the rental bikes.