mtbr member

I know this isn't RoadBike Review...

I was browsing craigslist today and found a Cannondale ST400. Judging by the bright yellow paint it's an 87 model. I don't know jack about road bikes, and know enough about mountain bikes to be dangerous. I'm thinking about buying this bike. Looks nice in the pictures, size should be ok too. I'm concerned however that I won't be able to get replacement parts for it should I need something. I don't know the "standards" road bikes use now, let alone in 1987. Would I be able to swap in modern drivetrain if I need too? Would this bike use 700c wheels? Any other info you guys can provide me?

TXTony
    700c wheels for sure...drive train you could upgrade as well...but keep in mind if you are going to drop the cash on drive train you are talking about front and rear derailleurs, New shifters...not sure what speed that bike is but most likely it is a 7 speed or 8 speed...depending on the wheels.hubs it has if you are going up to 9 speed or 10 speed you may have no choice but to get new wheels that will accept the 9/10 speed configuration..not sure if the wheels on it will take a larger cassette...I am speculating on some of this just from upgrading road bikes myself over the past 20 years or..I say all this to the point by the time you spend the money on upgrading a 1987 bike with a new drive train/wheels.and whatever else it may need you probably could buy a brand new entry level road bike depending on what group you planned on using for the upgrades....and I am not sure but you may even have to take a look at the crank set on there to see if it is compatible with any upgrades...I think the problem you may run into is that it is a 1987 bike and upgrading to a more modern drive train may result in changing out everything on the frame set... if it has down tube shifters then you will want to change to STI/ brake lever/shifter combo...etc...you could price out a Shimano 105 Group to see if it would be cost effective...I have not checked on road bike groups in awhile..but thinking that would run you around 4-6 hundred dollars for the entire group depending on where you got it...the 105 group is like the middle of the road for road bikes...kinda like LX is for Mt Bikes...or a similar Sram Group..plus I think you may be stuck with a 1 inch headset/stem..you can always get a 1 inch to 1 1/8 adapter that allows you to run a a 1 1/8 handlebar stem..and I think most bikes from that era had quill type stems...It would be a cool bike to have for sure..but cost effective for upgrading depends on how much you want to spend on doing it and is it worth it to your budget...I have an older Specialized Epic Road Bike that i upgraded years ago...even back then it was not cheap to basically swap everything out to try and keep up with the new stuff that was coming onto the market for road bikes..hope this helps some.

mtbr member
    Thanks, this is the sort of info I need. According to 1987 pdf catalog I found it has 27inch wheels/tires. Looked on Jenson and there are two options for tires. It does have downtube shifters and looks to be a 12spd. It was marketed as a touring bike, set up for front and rear racks and all that. It is also a quill type stem. The ad says it has new, tires, tubes, chain, cassette, cables, housings, brake pads and bar wrap.

Has front and rear spacing stayed the same on road bikes over the years, meaning would a current wheelset even fit?

I'm going to wait awhile to email the guy, maybe shoot him a low offer if it's still around. I've toyed with the idea of just buying a new or few year old bike. Seems like a new Motobecane from BD would fit the bill for me, cheap but decent parts. I also like the look of the CAADX. I basically want it for trainer use and so I can do a little road riding before the trails open in the spring time.

TXTony
    You should have no problem running a newer wheelset on it. May need spacers To fit the smaller cassette on the newer wheels. If you are going to use it just for training and a few road rides then it should work fine depending on the price he is asking. I will say from back in the day when down tube shifters where the norm they work but I never liked them. Having to take your hands off of the handlebar to shift was a pain and kind of dangerous sometimes. But I did get stronger because I found I hardly ever shifted. Would get in a nice rhythm and just hammer on it.

mtbr member
    I rode a bike with downtube shifters a few times, I really didn't care for it. As I said I'm going to wait a bit and see if the guy still has it. I'm in no rush to by a roadbike and I can be impulsive and not think things through at times. I do like that CAADX 105 though.