Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evan, yo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    166

    I just got my carbon Flash 29er 1! ...almost

    I was pretty excited to run down to the shop today to build it up. Yessir, a size large, just for me.



    But after three and a half hours BSing, bleeding the brakes, truing the wheels, replacing the shifters and drinking beer I noticed something on the seat tube.



    NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

    J at the shop called Cannondale and it looks like if he can't find one through his rep at another shop I'll have to wait until July for their next production. Lameskis.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

  2. #2
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,394
    Not a nice surprise.... but since you only noticed by the sticker... it would be a stretch but, could it be the error is not the sticker on the box but the sticker on the frame? You should check the measures...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,018
    They're out till July?






    Crap.
    Sorry for your misfortune...check the dimensions.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

    www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gemini6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    414
    That sucks for sure.. I know this is a simple comment but since the bike has been built up, did you try it on for size? If it fits, just get rid of the sticker, who cares what size it actually is...
    ________________
    Peace on dirt,

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TX Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    63
    Evan, yo! How tall are you? Have you tried the fit? I am 5'11" with a 34" inseam and a medium fits me perfectly and there is still a lot more seat post to max extension. I just had to switch out the stem for a 110mm.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RiderInTraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    347
    What would piss me off even more is that the sticker isn't even straight.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evan, yo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    166
    We measured it and it's a medium for sure.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evan, yo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    166
    I'm 6'-2" with a 34 inch inseam. It was way too scrunched along the top tube. Plus, when I got the seatpost high enough the saddle was about 4 inches above the handlebars. I don't know where my saddle is on my current bike, but it's not nearly that much higher than the handlebars.

    edit: Why can't I get these responses to thread directly under the message to which I'm responding?
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

  9. #9
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,394
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    What would piss me off even more is that the sticker isn't even straight.
    What? Who cares! Those size stickers are not meant to stay, just like price tags on clothes, you take them off as soon as you arrive home.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TX Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    63
    Man, that's a bummer . At 6'2" you definately need a large. My shop had a Flash Catrbon 29er 2 L. They put it on their web site and sold it in less than a week. Maybe your shop can lean on Cannondale to make this right faster.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gemini6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    What? Who cares! Those size stickers are not meant to stay, just like price tags on clothes, you take them off as soon as you arrive home.
    .... Wait.... your supposed take the price tags off your clothes?.. oh s**t...
    ________________
    Peace on dirt,

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RiderInTraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    What? Who cares! Those size stickers are not meant to stay, just like price tags on clothes, you take them off as soon as you arrive home.
    I know, it was just a lame attempt to be funny...
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    284
    What about them sending you a Carbon 2 frame and just keeping the build kit for the Carbon 1? (Assuming they have some Carbon 2's in stock).

    It would kind of suck, but better than waiting till July.

  14. #14
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,773
    nice to read all that interest in a Flash 29er

    here in Italy , a friend is getting one with the team , another one is riding in south italy, mine in north italy , another 2 bikes in the north ...

    i know there are many bike and they are not in the web , but ...

    but italian Cannondale Flash 29er movement is very very very little ......

    compared to the Flash 26" invasion .....

    in XC races is full of Flash 26" .... damn, how many bikes sold in Italy ? a million ?????

    ...and the global economy recession ?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evan, yo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    166
    So here's the deal: it is a large after all. When I said "we" measured it what I meant was I was pretty pissed and just left the shop and when I called later J said he measured it and it was a medium. After I went back down there and measured it myself I guess he was looking at the wrong column in the geo table on the C'dale website or something, because it definitely matched up with the specs for a large. I was pretty upset, and I should have measured it right away but after waiting for a couple months I wasn't in the mood to deal with having to send it back and wait longer.

    So, you can imagine my face being a little red (from embarassment, not anger anymore). Now that I've spent some time actually setting the seatpost to the right height and not just "knowing" that it's too small for me, it actually fits. I knew the frame was supposed to be pretty compact, but I've got 11.5 inches of seatpost showing (from the top of the collar to the middle of the rail mount) which looks like a ton. I moved the saddle back a little bit and will ride it with the stock 105 stem for a bit before I decide whether to keep it or switch it out.

    So, uh, false alarm I guess. I hope to get to some warmer climes and ride it this weekend.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

  16. #16
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,394
    Just what we like to hear, a nice ending!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RiderInTraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    347
    So the only question that remains is: what are you going to do about the sticker?
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evan, yo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    So the only question that remains is: what are you going to do about the sticker?
    It was removed before I put the tape measure away.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

  19. #19
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,394
    Quote Originally Posted by evan, yo!
    It was removed before I put the tape measure away.
    By the way, the warning label decal near the BB on carbon frames are now removable too.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    548
    Glad it worked in the end.

    By the way, what're you waiting to post pics of the bike???

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,003
    Quote Originally Posted by evan, yo!
    So here's the deal: it is a large after all. When I said "we" measured it what I meant was I was pretty pissed and just left the shop and when I called later J said he measured it and it was a medium. After I went back down there and measured it myself I guess he was looking at the wrong column in the geo table on the C'dale website or something, because it definitely matched up with the specs for a large. I was pretty upset, and I should have measured it right away but after waiting for a couple months I wasn't in the mood to deal with having to send it back and wait longer.

    So, you can imagine my face being a little red (from embarassment, not anger anymore). Now that I've spent some time actually setting the seatpost to the right height and not just "knowing" that it's too small for me, it actually fits. I knew the frame was supposed to be pretty compact, but I've got 11.5 inches of seatpost showing (from the top of the collar to the middle of the rail mount) which looks like a ton. I moved the saddle back a little bit and will ride it with the stock 105 stem for a bit before I decide whether to keep it or switch it out.

    So, uh, false alarm I guess. I hope to get to some warmer climes and ride it this weekend.
    Return it for the right sticker!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    390
    somebody is kicking off right now cause they've just got a medium frame with large sticker on it!!!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,018
    Are you sure the shop wasn't messing with you?
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

    www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •