mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I have a Cannondale F4, what would you change/upgrade

So basically, Im a newbie who bought an 07 C'dale F4. As I ride more, I can understand the want for performance upgdrades and weight loss. Since I don't have experience with other bikes/parts, I'd like to know your experienced opinion on as to what parts you would change or upgrade on my bike and why.

Frame Furio-X
    Fork HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL, 80 mm
    Rear Shock N/A
    Rims Sun Black Eye Disc, 32 hole
    Hubs Shimano M475
    Spokes Mach1
    Tires CST Caballero, 26 x 2.1"
    Pedals Wellgo alloy cage w/clip and strap
    Crank TruVatiV ISOflow, 22/32/44
    Chain SRAM 9-speed
    Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950, 11-34
    Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-UN26
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-7
    Shifters SRAM SX5 Trigger
    Handlebars Cannondale C3, 20 mm rise
    Stem Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm
    Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
    Brakeset Avid BB5 Disc
    Brakelevers Cannondale Fire
    Saddle Cannondale Mountain-V
    Seat Post Cannondale C4 Alloy
    Colors Teak Brown (matte) (BRN)
    Sizes XL
    Extras Cannondale V-Tech Grip

7hz
    Old newbie
    Budget?

Riding style?

Assuming you want to spend a few hundred:

Brakelevers Cannondale Fire -> Avid or other (weight, function)
    Saddle Cannondale Mountain-V -> Whatever nice saddle, (again weight / function)
    Pedals Wellgo alloy cage w/clip and strap -> Eggbeaters (hmm, I think I see a pattern here :-)
    Wheels and tires -> Mavics + lightweight tires

Basically, you COULD go through the whole bike and change most everything if you wanted. Be carefull you do it because you need to. I like a lot of the bits on my 4SL http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/07/ce...del-7FS4S.html (apart from the continually breaking Headshok!!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You'll feel most gains with a lighter wheelset/tires combo, I'd start there if it was my bike. Next on my list would be a lighter crank, like Shimano XT as it offers a nice compromise of weight vs price. From there lighter derailleurs, cassette, shifters, seatpost, handlebar, etc. in that order. Just don't start changing seat, handlebars, seatpost, etc. first cause you won't notice the weight reduction on those parts as much as with light wheels.

I'd reccomend XT/X.9 level parts unless you're racing or want the best, then it's XTR or X.0 all the way. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I have no real budget, as I will slowly upgrade parts as they either break or if I feel I am experienced enough to appreciate the change. You guys really answered my question as Im curious to know what parts of mine could really benefit from an upgrade and which would take priority. I ride the local trails, lots of single track with some good climbs, some small jumps, and stream crossings. Im basically a weekend warrior. My next upgrade will definately be clipless, after I have some more time in the saddle. I changed my front tire to a 2.3 and notice a difference when lifting the front end for clearing fallen trees.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

It's a new bike, just get out and ride the crap out of it, and then ride some more. First save up and get some shoes and clipless pedals and then ride some more and as you log many miles you'll discover something that bothers you. When that happens research other options or get on this site and share your frustrations and I'm sure you'll get loads of opinions of ways to fix it or products to replace it with. Other than that for a year or so only replace what you break. Good luck man and be safe out there!!

mtbr member
    Most your components should be fine for now.

Maybe look at the saddle and grips first. Get a more comfortable saddle and set of grips and you'll notice those upgrades instantly.

And, when you're ready, clipless pedals are a nice upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, my grips are really starting to slide off of the bars during intense riding, I will be looking into upgrading these.

mtbr member

Agreed with the masses

first thing would definitely ride that components into the ground and really build up your skills/fitness levels. Then when you get lighter wheels, BAM!!!! a huge difference in acceleration and over all speed. Then you get stiffer/lighter cranks.... BAM!!!!! more efficent pedalling which will lead to more acceleration/speed. The lighter handle bars, seatpost etc. are nice but not worth spending $100 until it breaks because it wouldn't have a huge impact like the other things. Maybe if you could, put a lefty on there?? just a thought but the Fatty Forks are nice too.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com