mtbr member

I find it hard to believe

I recently had some trouble with my new F5. In one week the chain broke, derailer bent….needed replaced along with the piece that holds the derailer and the 32T chain ring bent. Is this normal for a new Cannondale. I took it to my LBS and they repaired it but said nothing was covered by the warrantee.
    The LBS told me I probably picked up a stick or something…..I find it hard to believe a stick would cause all of this damage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I don't find it hard to believe. Drivetrains are surprisingly fragile under the right conditions. Avoid shifting under load and keep an eye out for trail debris and hopefully you'll have better luck!

mtbr member
    sounds like cross chaining rider error.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    it sucks, but it happens and it's not the bikes fault.

mtbr member
    I'm a newbe...what is cross chain error??

I wasn’t even on the trail when it happened....wasn't in the middle of a shift...just riding down the road and the cahin broke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pauleyd
    I'm a newbe...what is cross chain error??
    cross chaining is a very common "newbie" error it's when you ride in the extremes of your gearing as in the big ring in the front and big cog in the rear or small ring in front and small ring in the rear, doing this puts a huge amount of stress on your chain due to poor chain line and the rest of your drive train especially with the big big combo.

http://coachlevi.com/cycling/proper-chainline-example/

Quote Originally Posted by pauleyd
    I wasn’t even on the trail when it happened....wasn't in the middle of a shift...just riding down the road and the cahin broke
    it could of very well been something you did earlier and everything just gave way at that instant. With the combo of bent large cog in the rear bent derailleur hanger and derailleur and snapped chain all the evidence points to some type of rider error at sometime.

if your just starting out this is a lesson learned the hard way just like the lesson thats soon to come about why it's not smart to try and shift your front derailleur in the middle of a climb.

mtbr member
    HAL 9000 thanks for the info. I read http://coachlevi.com/cycling/proper-chainline-example lost of helpful info. I was doing exactly what they said not to do....lol...I guess you learn from your mistakes. I found a really good article at http://www.bikecommuters.com/2007/08/09/cross-chaining/ it tells you what combination of cogs you should use.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Ive broken a chain (or snapped a power link) torqueing up a hill in the wrong gear.
    Picked up a stick , TORE the RD off the bike, into the spokes and snapped a few of them...
    Its a physical sport!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Picked up a stick , TORE the RD off the bike, into the spokes and snapped a few of them...
    been there done that...

road bike fell over on the derailleur side in the parking lot before weekly group hammerfest road ride didn't think anything wrong till the first hill shifted to a lower gear SnaP CraCkLE PoP derailleur, derailleur hanger and mavic ksyrium es spokes end up broken. sitting on the side of the road looking like fool waiting for pissed off wife to pick you up is a couple hours wasted as you stew in your own juices.

pauleyd rider mistakes happen to everyone i've done about every boneheaded newbie move you can do while riding a bike and have the right calf chainring scars to prove it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yep that sounds normal to me. cdale didnt make those components either. they just made the frame.