dh1
    mtbr member

I am officially confused about the wheel options for my F29r

Hi everyone. I bought a new F29r a few weeks ago and so far I am loving my new bike! I have had it out in the snow 3 times and on pavement 3 times, and really enjoying it. Anxiously awaiting the spring thaw in Michigan.

Anyway, I wasn't necessarily looking for a 29r when I went shopping. I liked the fit a lot and the sale guy at the LBS really sold me on the big wheels. However, I will admit that it was heavier than what I was set out to buy.

I did some searching and got lots of advice that the OEM wheels on the bike were "boat anchors" (quoted from several MTBR members). Anyway, I had figured I would upgrade to a lighter wheel build and even try my hand a lacing my own rims in the process. This actually seems like a good idea for me anyway because I can use my heavier WTB rims to mount some semi-slicks on to ride around with my kids.

So I have been researching what hubs, spokes, rims would work well for my project. This is where I am getting confused. My current stock build has a Cannondale Lefty front hub, Deore rear hub, laced to WTB Dual Duty Rims. The tires are WTB 2.3 exiwolfs.

Now, I thought the stock rims were heavy/clunky....however I have seen numerous posts on the wheel board and 29r board suggesting that folks build new wheel sets with exactly the same rim. Why would someone go through the expense of a custom wheel build and choose these? Are my rims good, and it is the hubs that are anchors? Is it my tires?

Can some of you guys share your 29r wheel build? Also some suggestions of other areas that are unnecessarily heavy that I can easily shave some weight from my stock 07 F29r? Are there easier/less expensive places to loose weight than the wheels?

I will post some pics of my F29r. The wife downloaded my pictures from the camera onto her laptop, so I will have to transfer them to my PC, or borrow her computer.

mtbr member
    Lace in a DT 340 Disc rear hub and switch to an XT cass for some savings of weight.

Ignitor tires are almost as meaty and lighter.

Follow this with a Carbon Easton Bar and Post and you will be talking.

Next grab a SI stem.

After that.. grab a XT cass.

These are not the world's lightest parts but they are all dependable and lighter than what you have.
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

dh1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog
    Lace in a DT 340 Disc rear hub and switch to an XT cass for some savings of weight.

Ignitor tires are almost as meaty and lighter.

Follow this with a Carbon Easton Bar and Post and you will be talking.

Next grab a SI stem.

After that.. grab a XT cass.

These are not the world's lightest parts but they are all dependable and lighter than what you have.

The rear hub, cassette, tires, bars, seatpost, stem are easy enough. But you didn't say anything about replacing the hoops. Is it not worth the investment?

Thanks for the input. I tried searching the threads for loosing weight with the F29, but the search results were scattered. I don't want to get into the weight weenie category because I weigh over 200lbs myself, I just would like to hit somewhere around the mid 20s.

I have considered going with a 1x9 setup too.

PS: how wide are your bars? I have had a couple people suggest trimming them down a few inches.

mtbr member
    Lace in 2 Salsa Delgado rims for a net savings of about 200g.
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yep, replace parts as they suit your needs and budget. As for the wheels, if cheap and lighter is the mantra, lace up some Stan's 355's, Arches, or a mix of both. This allows for a lighter wheel set, quicker easier spin up, and the ability to run tubeless, further reducing overall weight, as well as rotational weight, which has the most impact on ride feel.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com