mtbr member

How are your carbon frames holding up?

I know carbon can be pretty impact & fatigue resistant, but I had a Cannondale Synapse that took some big gouges in the chain stay from the chain dropping. Also, there've been a bunch of times riding alloy/ti mountain bikes that I've picked up a random branch in my chain/RD area without any damage, so I'm wondering how carbon would hold up in this situation as well as chain dropping. I wasn't worried about riding my Synapse with a gouge in the chain stay, but there's no way I'd be comfortable riding a mtb with same problem due to the increased load of riding on rough terrain.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have over a year of weekly rides with a few races thrown in on my Rush.

No issues that I know of, and yes I have had several hard crashes.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My Rize Carbon 2 is cracked. Waiting for a replacement (jekyll) but I do not expect it anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I believe that carbon frames are fully repairable. Google carbon fiber repair and look at sites such as calfeerepair.com that show carbon frame repairs. I put a $0.50 size piece bruise on a rush frame and had it repaird for $200. I have ridden that frame hard for 6 months and it is as good as new. Anyother frame material would have seriously dented and been hard to repair. I did get a crash replacement frame for it (scalpel) but the bike shop gave me the damaged Rush frame back instead of destroying it. I sent it off for repair and am very pleased with it. While I am not sure you can trust repairs to a scalpel on the rear triangle I am sure you can repair anything on the front triangle.

I am a big fan of carbon fiber based on the abuse I have seen it take. On a side note I did get to destroy a carbon fiber frame in the LBS and I was amazed at how hard you hard to hit the frame with a 5lb hammer to do any damage.

In summary, I really like carbon fiber and see strong advantages as far as repairs and performance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Three years now on my Carbon Rush without issue.
    Better yet....no fatigue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondale rider 66
    I did get a crash replacement frame for it (scalpel) but the bike shop gave me the damaged Rush frame back instead of destroying it. I sent it off for repair and am very pleased with it.
    I wouldn't go telling everyone this. Your bike shop can get in trouble for this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My carbon raven has held up fine for many many years of riding. I guess it all depends how many trees you put it into, crashes you put it through or how your chain is set-up so it will not fall off and crash into your frame/bb. There are always compromises with bikes. There are cheerleaders for steel, alum and then of course the composite bikes, and each material fatigues and fails in different and sometimes dramatic ways. Whatever you ride if you take care of it, it should last a long time. If you bomb it down hills through huge boulders and do huge drops then maybe something that will take the abuse when crashing should be used (roll cage tube frame bike, ha).
    '99 Super V Raven carbon 700, lefty, 1x9
    bianchi pista fixed gear track bike, road trainer & bar cruiser

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Taurine - Ridden hard and plenty of rock impacts, no problems so far - very happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Have had 2 cracks so far, on the top tube from the handlebar. Easily repaired by local windsurfer/boardmaker dude, about 100-120 $ with a really nice finish, almost impossible to see. Still rides great despite repair, no issues at all.

Carbon is a great material

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Jason.R - I wouldn't go telling everyone this. Your bike shop can get in trouble for this.

Not sure what the cannondale nazis would actually do. Bike shop did not think it was rideable and gave no mention of possible repair. Just did a crash replacement so Cannondale still made money especially since I bought a new lefty and crankset from them to outfit the frame.

Point taken though on the frame destruction requirement.