mtbr member

How tall are you, and what size is your Flash Carbon 29er?

I'm about to place an order for a 2011 Flash Carbon 29er. I'm 6'2" tall, average proportions (i.e. no freakishly long legs or torso). I'm torn between a L and and XL, but leaning toward an L. I'm happy on my current ride, a Titus Racer X 29er in an L. That one has a 24.75" TT; Large Flash has a 24.5, XL is 25.3.

I'm wondering about the height and frame size of other Flash owners; I'd like to make sure that I'm at least in the right ballpark. Is there anything unusual about the geometry I should take into account? Does the Lefty and integrated stem change how the bike does/should fit? I'm planning to use this bike for fast XC riding and racing, though I may well find myself doing long races (50+ miles, 5+ hours) on it as well; i.e. looking for a fast position but not uber-aggressive. Any advice or observations much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" w/ 34" inseam and had a Large alloy (same geometry). I have a Large Carbon on order. The shop manager has an XL on order and he's 6'2", since he was surprised how small the Large felt to him.

If I were 6'2" I would go XL. I would say Large was perfect for me, it even felt small from time to time (w/ 100mm stem), usually for extended periods on the road.

If you want a "flickable" bike that has a more BMX feel to it, I'd stick with the Medium. But I think you'd appreciate the extra room nearing the end of a 5 hour race.
    Last edited by brentos; 09-26-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm 5' 10.5", not sure about my inseam but I think I'm pretty mesomorphish. I have a Medium and run a 110 stem, and I'm probably switching to a 120/-20 stem. I'm comfortable on a Large S-Works 29'er Stumper too, 595-615mm horizontal top tube is where I like it for mtb. I thought about getting a Large Flash 29'er to replace the one I left at the inlaws in Europe at the end of the summer but I'm sticking with a Medium. I like the lower standover and it's big enough. I am going to disagree with Bentos and say get the Large and throw a 120mm stem on it. BMX-y feel is a good thing.

You probably should try and ride both sizes before you commmit.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    YB1 brings up a VERY good point.

Getting a bike size you're happy with is more a factor of riding style, terrain, and where your center of gravity is located than rider height is.

A Medium and a Large can be reasonably set up with the identical rider dimensions, but they will ride differently.

I prefer the stability of bit longer wheelbase and short stem for the 3 hour climbs and fast 1 hour descents here in Utah. If the terrain is tight, twisty, and rolling...a smaller bike would fit the bill as quick transient resoponses would be prefered and stability is not nearly as critical.

It also depends on what you're used to and your riding background. So yes, afterall, it is very important to ride both sizes, if you can.
    Last edited by brentos; 09-20-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm 6'5" (37" inseam) and I'm afraid an XL is too small. I'm looking for a bike in the showroom around me to ride before I order one myself.

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" with a 34" inseam also. I have been riding a Medium Flash 29er Carbon 1 since February. I swapped out the stem for a 110mm and it fits me perfectly. Standover clearance (31.9" M vs 32.6" L) was an important factor for me for technical riding. Here in N TX the trails are very tight and twisty. The shorter wheelbase bike is quicker through the woods. The 23.3" top tube was very close to my Pivot Mach 4. The 24.5" top tube was just a little too long for me. It is tough to keep the front wheel weighted for cornering and tougher to hang my butt off the back for steep descents. Either way you go, you will love the carbon flash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am 6' 4" and have a 34-36 inseam. I ordered an XL and had an aluminum flash XL last year that was a great fit!
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    5'10" with a 34 inseam and I ride a medium flash carbon 29er. I also run a 120mm -8 stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    5'11" 34 inch inseam and I have a large carbon 29er.
    Cannondale Flash 29er Hi-Mod1
    Cannondale Cadd9

Team PACC/Plano Cycling

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone short riding these?
    I have a buddy torn on getting one... he is 5'7"
    Of course they only offer a medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm 5'8" and have an Aluminum Flash 3 29er in medium.

Stand over height is less than an inch, but the top tube length is fine with the stock stem.

I put a low rise handlebar, to get the weight off my wrists.

I have no problems dismounting on technical terrain, just got to lean it to the side.

I have had no problems with the almost non existent stand over clearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    6'3 and went with an xl.The large felt really small. I loved the xl, until the frame cracked and I am still (4 weeks and counting) waiting for warranty to figure a replacement.