JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

How to straighten derailleur hanger?

I have a 2011 Flash 1 26er, aluminum frame. Today I bent my derailleur hanger. My owner's manual supplement says that the replacement hanger needed is KP121.

It also says: "Do not use a derailleur hanger adjustment tool to straighten."
    "If Bending is necessary, remove the hanger from the frame first."

The method for straightening the hanger while it is in the frame seems pretty straight forward.

Any tips on how to get the hanger straight once it is removed from the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Google 'BFH'

mtbr member
    You could remove it and straighten the worst bend, but unless its on the bike, I can't see how one could accurately straighten the hanger. Most hangers will bend in two axis' (inboard and twist). Could be the manufacturer is saying that for liability reasons. A new hanger is about $30. Park Tool DAG-2 is about $55.

mtbr member
    Put it in a bench vise....

or go to your LBS and have them use the Park DAG-2

or just toss it and buy a new one.

$30 for a hanger is a lot less $$$ than a new derailleur.

local trails rider
    Put a new one on the bike. If you straighten the old one, use it as an emergency spare.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JNG View Post
    I have a 2011 Flash 1 26er, aluminum frame. Today I bent my derailleur hanger. My owner's manual supplement says that the replacement hanger needed is KP121.

It also says: "Do not use a derailleur hanger adjustment tool to straighten."
    "If Bending is necessary, remove the hanger from the frame first."

The method for straightening the hanger while it is in the frame seems pretty straight forward.

Any tips on how to get the hanger straight once it is removed from the frame?
    Try this link

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    With a Park Dag 2 straightening the hanger is very simple and straight forward. So why does Cannondale give this warning?

"Do not use a derailleur hanger adjustment tool to straighten.
    If Bending is necessary, remove the hanger from the frame first."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Probably because KP121 hanger is not strong enough to take the forces needed to bent back into shape using an hanger adjustment tool..

local trails rider
    They want to make sure you don't bend the dropout too, while twisting the hanger.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Why?

"Do not use a derailleur hanger adjustment tool to straighten.
    If Bending is necessary, remove the hanger from the frame first."

Answer from ConnondaleExperts.com:

Because Cannondale uses a much stiffer and more brittle aluminum for their hangers than other manufacturers for more precise shifting, two things come into play. 1 - If you try to bend it, it won't move much and will more than likely crack and shear/or off. They are just too stiff and don't like to be pushed. 2 - The interface where hangers attach to the frame (tabs, flat surfaces, and screw holes) could be damaged itself and in best case give lousy shifting forever and worst case render the frame useless.

In the case of a frame that uses the KP121, there is such a small amount of material surrounding that hanger and mounting hardware that any stretch or tweak will ruin shifting precision.
    If you do need to straighten out a hanger, please do it off of the bike. It is incredibly difficult, but may work better with far less risk.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cannondale only make reference to the hanger (that is a replaceable part) that cannot be straitened.In my opinion, unless to have all so bent the frame, you should replace the hanger.

mtbr member
    if its badly bent, I usually just stick the hanger in a bench vice and the do the bending with a crescent wrench.