mtbr member

How to Remove Headshock?

Tried searching but didn't come up with much. Any guides online, pefereably with photos, on how to remove my Ultra DL from my Jekyll frame? Looking to sell the frame off or possibly change to a lefty. Rather than just tear into the thing and risk screwing something up I'm looking for some help on this.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Pretty straightforward really. Remove stem, top cap, wheel, and brake. Take a 2X4 and a metal hammer or a soft faced mallet, hang onto the fork (or have a friend do it), and whack it on the top. If it does not come easily, whack a bit harder. There are no bolts or hidden attatchment devices, just friction. If it is really stuck, most likely rusty at that point, a bit of penetrating lube. let it soak a bit, and repeat. When it comes, it may get hung up half way, if the lower bearing does not stick to the crown. If this is the case, gently pull and wiggle, you'll see the bearing coming out, then it will come freely. It may pop out at speed, so hang onto it tightly!!! Have fun
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I find this hard to believe; all the is holding tension on the bearings is the friction of the headshock in the headtube? Maybe I am missing something here, but I didn't have to remove the topcap to remove my stem the way a traditional threadless headset works. And the top cap that also has the lockout function built in does remove easily, but nothing comes lose.

So it's really just wack it with a hammer? I kinda like the sound of that...

mtbr member
    Yup, whack it with a (rubber or plastic) hammer. The lockout lever must be removed but only because it would be in the way, it it strictly an internal mechanism.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The other reason you want to remove the top/lockout cap is so it does not get damaged by the hammer
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com