Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

How to press Lefty Steerer back into lower cup?

I recently traded frames and simply removed the Lefty Steerer from the frame by knocking it out the bottom of the headtube, bearing attach and all. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to press it back into the lower headset cup.

Any advice?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    I recently traded frames and simply removed the Lefty Steerer from the frame by knocking it out the bottom of the headtube, bearing attach and all. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to press it back into the lower headset cup.

Any advice?
    If I understand you, it's a non bonded clamp jobber, correct? If so, just push it back up and in, with a bit of wiggle for good measure. Then simply reset the top bearing into it's cup, using a piece of 2" PVC pipe, and a hammer. Just support the fork as you whack, so the lower bearing stays put.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    It's go the lower bearing attached to the streerer though, and I can't get that bearing off the steerer without prying it, which I'd prefer not to do.

So what I'm doing is putting the streerer and lower cup up into the headset with the top bearing already installed.

It doesn't appear to be "wiggling" into place. Maybe I need a bigger hammer? Or a rubber mallet?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I bought a rubber mallet and that fixed the problem.

Just hammered the streerer/bearing into the bottom, and use a squared off piece of metal wrapped in a sock to set the top bearing into place after being bumped out by the incoming streer/lower bearing.