mtbr member

How much sealant to use in tubless?.

Iv got mavic crossmax sl with hutchinson python tubeless tires, iv just put brand new mavic valves in but the rear still goes flat after a few days....

Theres no punctures in the tires so i just need the tire sealant to seal the odd pin hole or rim seal....

Iv got a 3oz bottle of slime for tubeless but how much should i put in?..

Thankyou
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: How much sealant to use in tubless?.

I run 2 oz per tire in my 29x2.2.

Spray it with soapy water and see where it is leaking. You may need to coat the bead with goo before mounting, or position the tire so that the goo seals the leak. For me, a good hard ride usually fixes any leaks.

Are you using Slime for auto tires, or Slime Pro? I use the auto Slime which works fine, but gets dry over the course of 2 or 3 months.

I have Slime Pro on order. Right now my time is more valuable than money, and the reviews on Amazon say it lasts a year. I have shied away from latex-based goo because of my experience with Stan's -- it is so messy and impossible to clean off your tire. They claim that Slime Pro doesn't do that. So we'll see!
    Last edited by DennisF; 06-07-2014 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    2oz fr 29er MTB, 1oz for 700c road...
    The air can leak out either through a "spongy" side wall or due to inadequate seal in between the rim and bid.
    If the issue is the side wall, it should be taken care of itself after 1-2 refill of the sealant. Just make sure to either ride after filling or shake it all around like shown in Stan's videos.
    If the issue is with the sill, assuming your rim is not dented make sure you inflate the tire enough till you hear the 2-3 loud pops when the bead get seated tightly.
    If you don't get those pops, you may need to use the Stan Yellow strip to make things tighter.

BTW, I never used the slime, just the Stan's which I usually refill every 4 months or so via a valve with a removable core.
    We have 3 MTB and 2 road bikes - all are tubeless - the only way to go (for me...)
    Last edited by StumpyElite2010; 06-12-2014 at 07:28 PM.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Great.... thanks for the replys....the beed is popped into the rim and i inflate to 60psi as per the tire specs....the wheels were trued and spokes tentioned last year....

Im going to start with 1oz and see how it goes before i add anymore....

Thankyou....
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I can't say for slime but with Stan's Sealant 1 oz is not enough. I use 2-3 oz. It really helps to tilt the bike to both sides (horizontal) and spin the tires a bit several times after you put it in ... makes sure the sealant gets all over the sidewalls and the bead.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've used 2 oz with everything I have tried -- Stans, Superjuice, and Auto Slime. You need enough to thoroughly coat everything.

I have tried 1 oz. and would have slow leaks around the rim.

If weight really matters that much to you, you could try using 2 oz until everything seals up well, then remove some somehow. It still seals small punctures even when it has dried out to the point that there is no longer any goo sloshing around in the tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The main determining factor is what type of tire you have. If it's UST it shouldn't need sealant in theory. UST tires are heavy because they have extra rubber to be air tight, with these tires 1 oz is enough since it's only to seal flats. A tubeless ready tire or normal tire definitely needs 2-3 ounces to be dependable and seal consistently since the tire itself has a sidewall that isn't air tight. You need sealant to coat the tire and make it air tight as well as for flat sealing duties. The best way I've found to seat tires is to mount them initially with 60psi, hold them flat and shake them around, flip them and do the same and then let them sit overnight before backing off the pressure for your first ride. Hope that info helps.

Jeff Lenosky
    Mavic