mtbr member
    May 2004

how much for a lefty max

how much would it cost to buy it as afttermarket?

mtbr member

lefty

i was recently looking for one as my lefty is now 4 years old. my lbs quoted me $750 for the max installed. i called c-dale (got the info off their website in the tech section) and talked to one of their tech's and he told me i would be just as happy as far as performance goes sending my old lefty in to get rebuilt by cannondale (to my weight and riding style) and will only cost around $150

You can't go wrong with either, Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

ceteris paribus
    So the way to go should be getting a 2nd hand lefty and having it rebuild. If one wants to get a lefty.

mtbr member
    Some used lefty max's come across ebay, I see atleast 1 per month. Check there.

mtbr member

lefty

So the way to go should be getting a 2nd hand lefty and having it rebuild. If one wants to get a lefty
    it all depends if you can get a good deal or not. if you find a good inexpensive used one that's the way to go. but if you can't, then just go for the max!

Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member

Check eBay

You can pick a LEfty Max on eBay for about $500 (they come and go, but there is usually at least one listed) and maybe sell your DLR for $300... That makes a $200 upgrade!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    You can pick a LEfty Max on eBay for about $500 (they come and go, but there is usually at least one listed) and maybe sell your DLR for $300... That makes a $200 upgrade!

I ride the Lefty Max on a Jekyll. It's a nice fork, smooth and plush, but cannot understand why in the world Cannondale did not make it with a lock out (???) . When you climb hard, the fork bobs way too much. If you want to buy one, I would take that in consideration. Does anyone have an idea why it has no lock out? Several previous models have lock out capabilities.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanu
    I ride the Lefty Max on a Jekyll. It's a nice fork, smooth and plush, but cannot understand why in the world Cannondale did not make it with a lock out (???) . When you climb hard, the fork bobs way too much. If you want to buy one, I would take that in consideration. Does anyone have an idea why it has no lock out? Several previous models have lock out capabilities.
    Hey Vanu,

I agree with you. I wish there was a way to lock out the new lefty. However, there are a few remedies to the hard climbs. 1) My friend had our lbs stiffen the Lefy up and that helped a great deal. 2) I alterd my pedaling strokes so that my pedaling rythm is fluid and efficient. On very steep climbs where I feel like I have to stand, I keep the bike very steady. So, far this has improved on my endurance and speed on climbs. I learned this from watching pros climb at races.

It would be nice if the rebound adjustment was also a lockout since it is so easy to access. Here in Nevada an active fork is needed full time.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungadin
    Hey Vanu,

I agree with you. I wish there was a way to lock out the new lefty. However, there are a few remedies to the hard climbs. 1) My friend had our lbs stiffen the Lefy up and that helped a great deal. 2) I alterd my pedaling strokes so that my pedaling rythm is fluid and efficient. On very steep climbs where I feel like I have to stand, I keep the bike very steady. So, far this has improved on my endurance and speed on climbs. I learned this from watching pros climb at races.

It would be nice if the rebound adjustment was also a lockout since it is so easy to access. Here in Nevada an active fork is needed full time.
    I wanted to add that a rider my weight 170#'s and below should not have a problem with bob on the sadle and very little off if the rebound and compresion are on full. If you weigh more, get the lefty stiffend up a bit.

Regardless, the lefty was the factor that lead me to getting the Jekyll.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i read somewhere that the lefty max is a pound heavier than the left dlr...and i am surprised to find out that the max doesnt have a lock-out!!!

ceteris paribus
    In Cannondale website, they posted the weight for all their 2003 forks. The 2004 shouldn't be so different.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'