Kanonkuglen.dk

How many have had trouble with Lefty Carbon?

I have owned my new Rush for about a month, and the Lefty Carbon SL fork has newer really worked perfectly, been this week it was all wrong, and I had to send it back to Cannondale for service/inspection! Im aware of the service recall Cannondale has issued about their Lefty Carbon SL forks, and I had it checked, it had the symptoms that Cannodale descriped, but the action C'Dale prescriped did not make the fork runner better - as a matter of fact it was working even worse after the service checkup!

So im am interested in hearing how many of you guys have had trouble with the Carbon Lefty SL fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I have two of them....

I have an 02 Carbon that has only given me problems with some creaking from the clamps. It holds air great and has the old ELO.

I have an 06 (second gen) with the Fox Terralogic and have had no problems. Its "auto lockout" feature is questionable, but overall the rebound and compression is great. No creaking, stiff and no flex.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi, although having just speed carbon DLR2, I was also quite worry about latest issue with recall too, so visited importer here for inspection, luckily no problem has been found. Otherwise, Lefty works flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've been riding my 07 Lefty Speed Carbon SL for about 4 months now, and I've had no trouble with it at all. I'm taking it in to my Cannondale LBS on Monday to take care of the recall, and having it fully serviced at the same time (just to put my mind at ease). I'm new to the Lefty world. I however love the shock (its actually a strut by definition) to death.

mad aussie
    My SL has worked great for the few weeks that I have had it. It is a lot smoother than the alloy DLR I had before, due mainly to the fact that it is correctly valved and sprung for my weight, whereas the alloy was set for a heavier rider. I checked mine for the cartridge, but it was loctited in really, really well!
    When you say it doesnt work well exactly what symptoms are you describing?
    A team mate had problems with his fork, but it was a very early production model. Primary issues was persistant air loss and he also had a crack in the clamps on the fork. His current one is working great.
    I would suggest contacting Mendon Cyclesmith and consider having Craig do his magic on your fork as it really should work well.
    For the record I have owned almost every other brand at some point, Fox, Marzocchi, Rock Shox and Manitou and the Lefty works as well as the best but a lot stiffer.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Best fork ever , and best bike ever owned Carbon 1 Rush.
    However Im sending mine for the recall

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lars_kanonkuglen
    the action C'Dale prescriped did not make the fork runner better - as a matter of fact it was working even worse after the service checkup!

Symptoms please? We can't help, if we don't have any info
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've had a Rush Carbon 1 now for about 3 weeks and 1 race and have had zero problems. This is my first lefty fork and I love it.

mtbr member
    I just noticed the recall on my 07 Carbon SL (thanks mtbr)

My fork has been working well, I have about 2000 miles on it and about 7 races. But......

Sometimes when the fork is in lock out it will come unlocked with the switch still in lock mode, if I unlock it and then re-lock it, it's ok.

I'm running this fork on my Niner SIR 9 and have a race this coming Saturday, I'm leading the points in my class also. I'd hate to put the ridged fork back on for this race.

I hope my local Cannondale dealer can help me out this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its a fairly quick fix. They just have to pull it apart put some lock-tite on some parts and put it back together. Sorry for the slightly vague explanation, our rep came by and took my fork apart to show our mechanics what to do. Since I just sell bikes I wasn't privy to all the tech info. Overall its a 15-20 min job, if all goes well.