mtbr member

how good is Prophet for XC?

I know I should probably be riding a Rush for for my local terrain; mostly XC stuff. But I've been riding a short travel XC bike( 3") for the past 7 years, and quite frankly, I want to just go out on the trails and "play". I want to take the most difficult lines and launch off of some stuff, and I want to go out and find some urban stuff to catch a little air. And I want to be comfortable doing it. But here's my dilemma; I love to climb (nothing makes me happier than to clean a technical climb) and I love to weave through the trees on the local singletrack. Will I be giving up too much (climbing, zipping, and efficiency) to justify a Prophet? Any suggestions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    With the prophet you can just go over stuff instead of having to go around it. I have only riden a prophet and scapel. the prphet climbs well the scalpel climbs better. The rush is lighter than the prophet, but has a lower bottom bracket. The rush is known for good climbing, but can be a little harder to deal with on the downhills.

I really like the Lefty for xc. The 2008 prophets dont have the lefty, but the rush does.

So, is the prophet good for xc, Yes
    Are there better? yes, but there is a trade off for those.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

shut up and RIDE!
    Sounds like you want the best of all worlds... go for the Prophet! I love mine, it climes well, downhills are a blast, and if I want to launch something, I just do it... True, there are other bikes that climb better, however from what you described as your preferred riding style, it sounds like the Prophet is a perfect fit.
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My version of your situation: I'd been on an F1000 (DD50 headshok then upgraded to a 72mm fatty three years ago). Picked up a Rush Carbon Team in September. I have no idea what the Prophet rides like, but I now slam through lines I'd never consider doing on my hardtail. Yesterday's ride included several 2 foot drop offs ramps and steep 6' high roll-in structures - no problems with the bike. With a smooth enough landing technique, I wouldn't discourage you from finding some deeper drops on a regular basis.

At the moment, the Rush doesn't hold a candle to the HT's climbing ability (I blame the higher front end), but I still scramble up the hill faster (and more successfully) than any of my riding buddies.

If your terrain is similar to mine (Western WA - tight woods, roots, rocks, mud), I say that the Rush is a badass playmate. Hope you have a good one with either bike you choose.

Ridin' dirty!
    Go with the Prophet!!!!
    You sound like a fun having type rider with a BMX background.
    I test rode a Rush before and it was nice until I realized that the low bb hits everything on my local trails.
    Going over a log at a higher speed will mess up your downtube and cranks pretty quickly.
    I manage to climb with my Prophet in areas (being seated!) were a lot of other riders, even on Hardtails give up and push or carry!
    That includes trails in Germany (Muddy, lots of roots, wet and slippery), Wichita Falls Texas (dry and technical), and currently Virginia (lots of roots, rocks, logs etc.)
    There's a reason why the Prophet is considered a "Do it all bike".
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    I test rode a Rush before and it was nice until I realized that the low bb hits everything on my local trails.
    according to cdale's website, the prophet's bb is only 0.4" taller.... I can't imagine that it makes that much difference... I ride a scalpel and my buddy who rides a prophet (both mediums) hits everything I do....

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    according to cdale's website, the prophet's bb is only 0.4" taller.... I can't imagine that it makes that much difference... I ride a scalpel and my buddy who rides a prophet (both mediums) hits everything I do....
    Yeah, but the thing is that it'll move way further down when the suspension compresses compared to the Prophet....especially if you run it with the recommended sag.
    +/- a couple degrees of the steering angle changes a lot as far as the handling of a bike goes already so that "almost" half inch of bb height was enough to make the big ring hit everything I can clear with no issues on my Prophet and this made the Rush not the bike for me.....

got the dhr...
    well i just got a prophet. climbing is fine on it. much easier in the xc posistion though!! well, what i wanted to say is that starting next year, ill be racing xc, and well, i'll be doin it on my prophet! i know i'll be a little slower uphill, but then, when the terrain shifts-you better watch your a$$ cuz i comin to get ya!!!

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by luseboy
    well i just got a prophet. climbing is fine on it. much easier in the xc posistion though!! well, what i wanted to say is that starting next year, ill be racing xc, and well, i'll be doin it on my prophet! i know i'll be a little slower uphill, but then, when the terrain shifts-you better watch your a$$ cuz i comin to get ya!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My justifications were exactly the same as yours when I bought my Prophet late this summer. Like yourself I enjoy a good climb, (my friends think i'm nuts) and my other ride is a Specialized Epic, one of the best bikes for climbing around but only 90mm of travel.

I have only been on about 5 rides with the Prophet and most of them night rides but my climbing has suffered a bit, the downhills are sooooo much better though. Either it's that i'm not used to it yet or it isn't as good at the climbs. Which ever the case, I got the Prophet to have a longer travel ride and that's what it's great at!

mtbr member
    Prophet is the sweet spot bike like the heckler. If you don't race Don't go less than 5"
    Love my 05 prophet 1000

mtbr member
    On the prophet there are 2 positions for the rear shock, in the FR postion and the XC. The XC will help sit you differently on the bike so you get better efficiency climbing, this uses the 69 degree head tube angle. The FR will sit you back so you can do some drops and other sketchy sections with much more ease. This adjust changes the head tube angle 67.5. See below
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It is funny to read this thread as I just met someone who was completely torn between a Rush and Prophet. Both bikes are amazing and fun however, they are distinctly two different bikes. If I were a racer, I would buy a Rush however I am not, yet. Based on my own riding experiences, I would rather have a longer travel, more slack bike for everyday use than a Rush, a Prophet! With the additional travel, adjustable and more slack geometry, I can cover more ground and tackle a broader range of terrain on one single machine. My Prophet is my do everything bike. I like the fact that I can reposition the shock from 69 degrees to 67.5 for when I want to feel bad-ass, and I have a 36 TALAS to help me on my climbs; the Prophet is the perfect bike. If you are totally cross country, I wouldn't get a 36 TALAS but maybe a 32 TALAS. The Prophet will be a slower, less efficient bike than the Rush but I would argue it is more fun. You can go bigger and harder on the Prophet and for the times you venture away from your home mountain, you have a bike that is up for nearly anything! I'd vote Prophet.

mtbr member
    I certainly appreciate all the input, guys. If anybody else has anything to add, I'm all ears (or eyes?)...

mtbr member
    i actually leave mine in the fr position. it seems less twitchy and overall more comftorable

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    love my prophet - was tempted with the rush after I bought it but again wanted a do-it-all bike with plenty of travel and wanted the lefty so prophet was my ideal bike. Dont use it nearly enough but when it does get out - its all fun. STays in the FR setting more recently - again adds to the fun on decents. Roots, single track and fast long downhill firebreaks are amazing. its a 2005 with lefty MAX and the stable platform is an excellent set up. Carbon Rush looks the business, but only for pure XC. The carbon Ruch doesnt shave too much weight either. I have mine at 28 lbs still on the Mavic 817's and tubeless tyres. Could easily get it to around 26 - 27 so weight not such a factor to worry about.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No doubt!

Go to the Prophet!!!
    [SIZE="4"]Y[/SIZE]oU mAdE [SIZE="5"][SIZE="4"]M[/SIZE][/SIZE]e wEa[SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"]R[/SIZE][/SIZE] a bIcYcle hEl[SIZE="4"]m[/SIZE]eT!!!