mtbr member

How durable is the Scalpel???

I am in the market for a fast XC bike and want to start doing some 6-12 hour endurance races. Right now I have a custom build on an '05 carbon fiber Giant NRS frame. I am fairly happy with the NRS, but I would like something with a more active rear triangle. I'm pretty tough on my bikes and do not like to hold back on the trails. If there is a 2-3ft drop I am not scared to take it on the NRS. I am considering three frames at the moment... Cannondale RUSH, Cannondale SCALPEL and Titus RACER-X.

I like the looks of the Scalpel, but i'm worried about the durability of the frame. How hard do you ride your Scalpel? Anyone break their frame? Will the '08 100mm version be able to take more abuse?

Thanks for the input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (58.6 KB, 191 views)
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm also considering a Scalpel, Rush, Racer X, and Top Fuel. I spoke with a Cannondale Rep last week and he said the new Scalpel is rock solid. I know a couple guys that have ridden the original Scalpel for years and they claim that they've thrashed it and it held up well. There are some rumors floating around that the bonded chainstay/dropout point is coming "unbonded". But I think those were isolated cases and I believe that if you produce enough of a product a certain percentage will be less than perfect. Another friend of mine broke a titanium Titus Racer X last year. It happens...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    well, the scalpel is a race machine, I beat the hell out of it, and not a single problem with the frame. but for 12 hours races, not the best , I will go for the carbon rush. and the new scalpel would be the perfect bike for what you are looking for. a bike that is fast, corners great, climbs even better, downhill its ok. and its not as hard as the old scalpel...O i forgot to say, its Light!!!

mad aussie
    My Scalpel was ridden hard for three years before being sold, still working well. I elected to go with the Rush because I wanted a more versatile ride that would handle a little better the road trip to Moab as well as a 24 hour race and 100 mile marathon while being kinder on my back. It just depends on the kind of terrain you are likely to ride.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Straight from an east coast Cannondale Sales Manager,

"We have issued a voluntary recall on the new Scalpel. This took place early today due to some bonding issues. As I mentioned, we have only shipped a few bikes and want to make sure that all Scalpels are perfect. We have isolated the issue and all bikes shipping from today forward will not be affected."