Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

How do you take the lock out off ?

How do you take the 'lock out' off of a Lefty fork ? I have a Scalpel 29er and never ever use the lock out and think it weighs to much anyway. So is it possible to take it off and replace it with a knob like the lock outs on the older style forks ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes its possible but probably not cheap or easy. What year and model fork do you have? If its a 2012 or 2013 XLR you can switch it to a PBR but it requires new internals. Probably a few hundred dollars at least.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Yes its possible but probably not cheap or easy. What year and model fork do you have? If its a 2012 or 2013 XLR you can switch it to a PBR but it requires new internals. Probably a few hundred dollars at least.
    Its a 2012 XLR ...... and nothing of what you said sounds remotely worth doing !!!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It requires tearing the forks damper down completely, and installing a small two piece stainless unit inside the upper end of the damper shaft.

This allows a place for the PBR to bolt on.

The PBR control is around $30, the labor for the job depends on who you deal with, and the stainless pieces need to be sourced. Cannondale does not offer them (silly, I know) but find a shop that works on enough of these, and likely they will have some of the floating around from a PBR to XLR conversion they'd done previously.....

The rest of the internals are identical, this is a cheap job really, especially considering you can likely offload the XLR control to help offset costs incurred as well.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi there! I have a 2012 Cannondale Flash with PBR and want to covert to the lockout because when I am racing I find it hard to switch quickly and safely! is it just a staight swap? I would be interested in purchasing your lockout?

Bish

Dirt Whore
    I have been trying to find out how difficult it would be to put a lockout on the PBR lefty. The only info I have found is that you have to modify the Damping Cartridge, I am wondering how difficult it would be, from the manuals that i have found there it looks like there is only a minor difference between the 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you take the lock out off ?-damping-1.png  

How do you take the lock out off ?-damping2.png