mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Good job! how do you lose 226g and gain 20mm of suspension travel?

You ditch the P-Bone D fork and put on a Fatty Ultra.
    I could not believe how much lighter the Ultra is than the old P-Bone D. I have a '97 F700 that I have mentioned several times here and it has the PBD fork. I found some tools in my garage that worked to pull the cartridge out of the PBD and refilled it with oil and it works as it should, but it is only 60mm of travel. I found the 80mm Ultra on fleabay for a decent price (and with V-brake mounts) so I bought it. First, I can't believe how easy it is to swap Headshoks around. A good smack with the deadblow hammer and it was out, and another couple of smacks and the new one was in. I put the bike on the scale and it went from 27lbs 13oz with the PBD to 27 lbs 5oz with the Ultra. That includes a pound of junk like the toolkit, a bell, and pedals with clips and straps. I can easily get this badboy down under 26lbs with some new tires and putting the clipless pedals back on. For now though it is fine.

The preload is set by adjusting air pressure on the Ultra, correct? I think I need to lighten the pressure, but I have to pick up a shock pump tomorrow before I go playing with it. I must have hit something when I was out riding Saturday because the rear tire was flat when I got the bike out to change the fork, otherwise I would have went for a spin tonight after it was back together.

andy b.

Frys With That, Please
    You got pics?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455
    You got pics?
    of?

I'll take a few. I don't have any of it apart, as it is just a Headshok and an old F700. The Headshok is black, so it goes fine with the weird dark color of the F700.

I did pick up a lighter rear tire and tube tonight, so I'll put that on and see how much it changes the weight.

andy b.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got the same bike and im considering upgrading the fork when some funds pop up.......I always figured my bike was lighter than 27 lbs though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No pics yet (I'm working on it in the kitchen and aside from the bike mess there is a kitchen mess my wife doesn't want me posting ).

I put on a Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1 tire and one of those ultra-light 90g tubes from Performance Cycle (the Forte brand). Now I'm down to 27lbs even. As I mentioned, this is with a bunch of junk in the tool pouch, a bell on the handlebars, bar ends, and pedal clips and straps. I also have a big fat seat to cushion my out of shape ass, which I'm sure adds another 200g of weight. I would think if I took the junk off the bike it would be 26 lbs easy, so newnan your bike probably does weigh under 27 lbs if it's mostly stock. Oh, my bike is a medium.

EDIT- Almost forgot, my tire wasn't flat due to a puncture. It has the original tires and tubes, and the tube was so old it fell apart at the valve stem. I have to decide on a front tire next, so more weight reductions in store.

andy b.