mtbr member

How do you deal with the questions?

After 8 years of people asking me how much my bike cost and WOW....its only got one fork....im getting prety tired of it now....

I know people are just asking as we all know,our Dales grab attention but at times i just want to enjoy my bike and ride in peace without being questioned everytime i stop....

If its a genuine person then am more than happy to tell and show them things....

Just wondering what kinda answers you guys give to people....
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I tell them it cost $2500, the lefty feels great, no the bike isn't unbalanced. see ya!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I had a cute blonde rush up to me last week to talk about my front suspension as she called it. A pity she had her husband and baby in tow.

Nobody asks me about the cost but I get a reasonable number of requests, I'm at the stage where I am happy to talk about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm a Mechanical Engineer, I don't get tired of talking about my bike. I don't have a Lefty though, only a Super V and a SM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When people ask me "Where did the other half of you fork go?"

I respond with, "I took it off, it's lighter this way." Sarcasm with sarcasm is rather fun.

Of course, it's even more fun that you smoke them on the downhill with your "fork."
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Now broadcasting from CO
    I just don't stop...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    When I'm asked how much I just say alot if it's just a non biker, and when I'm asked where half my fork went, I usually respond with "holy s**t! when did that fall off??? I better go look for it.....". Then I ride away..

mtbr member
    I tell people that a lefty is much cheaper because you only have to pay for half the fork.
    I store my tire tube in a zip lock bag in the steerer tube,
    Q: what's that?
    A: A 6 inch meatball sub. Always gets a few odd looks.
    Another one of my fave's is,
    Q: Doesn't the fork mess with your vision always looking at something that isn't balanced?
    A: Only when I'm really drunk.

I dd what you see there.
    I haven't had any people inquire about my Lefty with sarcasm. More often then not it's just young kids gawking in awe. My most recent was "that's a sick Lefty man." I think my reply was "what?"

The other part is adults that are seemingly genuinely curious as to the design and the benefits of it. This is my explanation: Nevermind the weight savings, I grab their bike, put the wheel between my legs and twist the bars. I point out how the stantions on their fork flex and bind (if they don't break), then I let them do the same with my Lefty. Nevermind breaking, I know it doesn't even flex a millimeter. I conclude with "Voila, there's the genius behind my "incomplete" fork."

mtbr member

Next time someone asks me...

Anyone have a response for someone that thinks I'm crazy for riding a Lefty design? Some people have made patronizing comments, typically of the older generation (anti-communist, reagan era).

I like bikesinmud and ziscwg responses, but I typically give ones like ryanhugh.

thanks,

mtbr member
    "What's the deal with that fork?"

"I'm divorced and my x-wife got half."
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    If asked about the price by pedestrians not in the know, I say "More than $600" (this is considered quite an expensive bike in our country). If asked by bikers, I say "Around $3600" (this is considered generous and respectful for a moving trainer).
    Maryana tebe dast!

mtbr member
    ppl ask

Q: why you onlye got one fork
    A: i dont got much money to buy the rest

Q:how much is you bike
    A: donno i spent to much looking to my bike i total for got how much money he cost

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Q: Where's the other half of your fork?
    A: (Looks at person's fork). Rockshox/Fox/Manitou stole it to find out why it's twice as good as theirs!

mtbr member
    I tell them once they progress past the training forks they using they can get one of these....

Of it I am riding with my riding buddy i tell them i gave the other 1/2 to him

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I tell them its so unbalanced that I just go round in big circles but I am not unhappy because it increases my training distance as I never seem to get anywhere. Scary thing is some of them believe me.

mtbr member

I got one...

Quote Originally Posted by XCProphet
    Anyone have a response for someone that thinks I'm crazy for riding a Lefty design? Some people have made patronizing comments, typically of the older generation (anti-communist, reagan era).

I like bikesinmud and ziscwg responses, but I typically give ones like ryanhugh.

thanks,
    Fellow Comrade(for fellow bikers) or Fellow Commissar(for Gestapo-type authoritarian pedestrians), I'd figure a Lefty would save resources for the war effort and rich capitalist pigs!
    Last edited by XCProphet; 08-09-2010 at 04:47 PM.