Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karlmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    253

    how do you change the oil on a pbr 140?

    I need to change the oil in my lefty pbr and I was wondering if any one had some pictures of how to do this? My lbs changed the oil to 7 wt and now on the top end it feels like the fork is hitting the top cap of the fork. It feels like there is some air in the fork. I am going to change the oil myself because the lbs has had my bike for 2 weeks and informed me they are to busy to bleed out the air bubbles. I'm hopping to get back on my bike soon


    Karl

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karlmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    253
    Does anyone know if the pdf file will show how to replace oil in your shock? Or is there a book or video I can buy?


    Karl

  3. #3
    Sweater
    Reputation: Buzzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,138
    Bump this.

    I am wanting to know the same thing for the 120 and can't seem to find anything. There are a few threads on here that are close, but I don't want to tear into the thing and then realize theres some small detail that causes the fork to be permanently locked out, or leak or something after I get it back together.

    There's a couple threads on here that are close but still leave me wondering if they are same, also I can't find the manual on c'dales site.

    Thanks guys for the help
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drb81's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    It's not a particularly difficult job (15-20mins or so) but you do have to have the special tools to remove the cartridge. I would take it to the LBS if you don't have the tools.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karlmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    253

    Have you done an oil change on an lefty pbr?

    Quote Originally Posted by drb81
    It's not a particularly difficult job (15-20mins or so) but you do have to have the special tools to remove the cartridge. I would take it to the LBS if you don't have the tools.
    i have had my lbs change the oil in my lefty pbr to a 7wt. the old 5 wt was heating up and causing the shock to bang the top during rebound. my shock only did this during heavy and long down hill runs. i was also running 145 psi in my lefty pbr. i was told that heavier oil would help keep the oil from heating up and loosing viscosity. once i got my shock back from the lbs after the 2nd oil change to 7wt im still getting a knocking sound/feel when the shock comes to full top dead center after i pull the front end off the ground. every thing still works on the shock and it seems to work perfect except for the knocking feeling/sound. could there be air in the oil chamber? is 7wt wrong for it? is there a special way to get the air bleed out of the pbr oil chamber? any advice?

    karl

  6. #6
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,949
    im waiting to hear this also cause my pbr has the same feeling.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karlmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    253
    I contacted mendon and described the problem. If mendon can fix it then I'm shipping my fork to ny. I'm so tired of trying to deal with my lbs. They just keep telling me that the negative oil chamber needs time to fill up after the oil change.......not sure if that is true. Mendon should know what to do......

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karlmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    253
    I really hope mendon knows what the issue is with the knocking on the top end of travel. If not I'm going to ask cannondale to send back my lefty max and refund my cash

  9. #9
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,626
    My pm's are messed up currently....

    Topping out, or banging, isn't from the oil, if it is, it's crappy oil. Topping out due to bearing migration is what most often causes this.

    The negative chamber needing to fill up with oil? That's rich. It's filled as part of a proper cartridge service. Now Fox RLC's? They need a few cycles to achieve full function, but I mean like, 10, not several rides....

    As for manuals on DIYing? none out there, and I can't tell you how many forks I get in pieces due to DIY gone wrong. If the current crop of DIY threads aren't sufficient to make it plain to you what to do, you're better off to find a qualified service center. Not being snarky, just trying to save many folks time and hassle, as I see these questions all the time, the info is already here, several times. Check the Tech thread for starters....

    FYI? A PBR damper is functionally identical to a DLR2.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karlmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    253

    Thank you mendon.

    My shock is a 2010 lefty pbr i got in july, i have about 20 rides on her due to the fork acting strange. This fork replaced the lefty max you upgraded for me back in 2007 i think. My lefty from day one has had a banging or topping out when im riding down hill and when i pull the front end of the shock off of the ground and let the fork extend to full extension. I tried to reset the bearings after 3 rides....and was only able to get the top cap to go into the fork tube about 1.5in. Then I thought that my fork might just need 7wt oil instead of the 5wt oil ( oil heating up?) but changing the oil did not fix this problem. did i get a defective fork? Should i send my fork to you to check out? im starting not to trust my local bike shop because they told me just to ride the fork and it will get better they said and it also took them 2 weeks to do an oil change. If you determin my fork is defective could you handle sending it back or does the shop where i purchased this fork need to do it?

    thanks for all your help mendon....

    karl


    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    My pm's are messed up currently....

    Topping out, or banging, isn't from the oil, if it is, it's crappy oil. Topping out due to bearing migration is what most often causes this.

    The negative chamber needing to fill up with oil? That's rich. It's filled as part of a proper cartridge service. Now Fox RLC's? They need a few cycles to achieve full function, but I mean like, 10, not several rides....

    As for manuals on DIYing? none out there, and I can't tell you how many forks I get in pieces due to DIY gone wrong. If the current crop of DIY threads aren't sufficient to make it plain to you what to do, you're better off to find a qualified service center. Not being snarky, just trying to save many folks time and hassle, as I see these questions all the time, the info is already here, several times. Check the Tech thread for starters....

    FYI? A PBR damper is functionally identical to a DLR2.

  11. #11
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,626
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    If you determin my fork is defective could you handle sending it back or does the shop where i purchased this fork need to do it?l
    I'd ask your shop to send t back. You shouldn't be paying for anything, and if you send it t me, you will. Beyond that, sending it to me, to then send to Cannondale wastes your time.

    It sounds like your shops techs aren't really knowledgeable on Lefty tech, and they're uncomfortable saying so, so they BS you instead. Never heard of a damper improving it's function with riding. Odd noises/feelings just after a telescope rebuild due to grease needing to settle in? Sure, a ride or three usually helps, but if a damper is crappy, it's crappy, no amount of riding will help.

    Just have your shop send it in for a warranty service, it sounds like they just screwed up, but Cannondale will get it right. If it then still sucks, let me know.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •