mtbr member
    Apr 2004

How to chose Scalpel size M or L?

All,
    I'm looking to buy a size M or L Scalpel but am torn between a size large with a shorter stem or size medium with a long stem (>110mm). I'm 6' but short legged with a 33" inseam. Any advice from others that are between sizes?

BTW: The bike is mostly for xcountry riding.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg
    All,
    I'm looking to buy a size M or L Scalpel but am torn between a size large with a shorter stem or size medium with a long stem (>110mm). I'm 6' but short legged with a 33" inseam. Any advice from others that are between sizes?

BTW: The bike is mostly for xcountry riding.
    Hey Pete, sounds like were very close to the same size. I'm 5' 11.5" with a 32.95" inseam. I find the stock large to fit me perfectly. In fact I feel it's the best fit I've ever had on a bike. Having short legs means that you probably have a long torso (either that or a really big head ) and that cockpit length fit is much more critical than standover clearance, which generally isn't a problem on the Scalpel anyway with the bent top tube. At 6' you are definitely NOT between sizes, a medium would be too small. Get the large and give the stock 120mm stem a try, you should be able to swap it out after a ride or 2 if you still feel it's too long.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Large it is.

Although I liked having a small bike (medium) under me for climbs I think you're right in the correct fitting of the torso for control. I told my local shop to hold the large. This Scalpel 2000 is darn light. I'm about 170lbs and can't get the rear to flex as much as I'd like - I reckon that a matter of dialing in the rear Fox shock and the correct air pressure? Still, the Lefty creeps me out no matter how nice it responds.

Thanks much!

-pg

Are you talking to me?

Large.

At your dimensions, the large sounds right. Stand over will not be an issue, and the most important fit is the tot tube length.

The Lefty only creeps me out when I look down. On the trail, the Lefty (and Lefty Max) rocks.
    gfy

mtbr member
    I'm 5-11 or so, the large is the perfect size... At first it felt too big but that was only when I was stopped and standing... I use the stock stem, with it flipped so it has negative rise... I have 5.25" of seat tube out, measuring to the bottom of the seat rail... The seat is about 2-3" higher than the handlebars... The cockpit feels a little long but when climbing it is perfect... When I ride the axle is right behind the handlebars just a little when looking down...
    Attached Images Attached Images