mtbr member
    May 2009

hopingt to see scalpel 29er

scalpal 29er would be really nice any thoughs
    will this ever happen? or is it a work in progress?
    Cannondale superV500
    Cannondale F600comp

Now broadcasting from CO
    Probably not... the flexing chainstays on the scalpel wouldn't perform properly if they were extended to fit the larger wheel. My vote is to do a 29er Rize and drop the travel down to 100mm. The faux bar suspension performs better anyway...
    Brought to you by rocks.

LA CHÈVRE
    The comfort and cush of the 29er wheels combined with the S.A.V.E. built-in vertical flex of the new Flash would, I think, make a race 29er FS pointless. My opinion, maybe Cannondale's too but there wont be a 29er Scalpel for 2010. Word on the stree... word on the trails is 2011 will see a refreshed Scalpel... maybe then? Again, IMO, a 29er Flash is a better idea, lighter, less trouble and maintenance, as much comfort and cheaper than a 29er Scalpel would be...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

likes to ride bikes
    Judging by the comments here, 29er bike performance is a new dynamic for Cannondale and its riders, and that's fine.

Flexible chainstays would work fine for a 29er; just reduce the travel to 3". It is standard fare in the 29er world that 3" 29ers give equal squish as 4 or 5" travel 26ers. There are several good bikes with this spec being sold, but the opportunity Cannondale has is to make one that's both tough and super-light, something that other companies have struggled with a bit.

Hardtails with carbon seatstays don't make softtails pointless, the Salsa Mamasita is an example of a production bike like this and it would certainly give more sting and bounce down a bumpy descent. There are two 1" 29er softtails on the market with metal chainstays that have been selling for quite a few years and a newer 1.5" softtail.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

likes to ride bikes
    Since that's circa 2007, I'm going to gather based on other rumors I've heard that Cannondale prototyped a bike like this and never brought it to market.

Look, the flexible carbon seatstay/chainstay is a proven Good Idea. 29ers for the highest level of enduro racing: Good Idea. Maybe that Aussie in the "24 Solo" documentary wouldn't have nearly killed himself winning against Eatough if he was on a 29er Scalpel