mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Which Hope to get?

I want to upgrade my brakes on my Prophet MX4 team with a carbon 140 lefty. I live in texas and cant ride as hard as I could in the past due to injuries but I still love the cool ****. I'm 225 now and want to get back to 200. I want to get either the Hope V2 or the Hope Mini Pro's.

If my bike were a Hardtail or a 29'er and weight was important the answer would be as easy if I lived in a mountainous area. I just think since I am riding a 28lb 5 inch travel bike, I should have as much break as I can get. Brake feel and modulation is very important to me so the V2 are what I think is my 1st choice.

I'm looking for input.

Music & Bikes
    I'd go for the V2 too.

I have minis and love them but I'm at 160, a bit weight conscious, and Xcountry only.
    Minis are Xcountry brakes , with a 5" bike , you want more of a FR/DH brakes.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The V2 and the Mini Pro are pretty much on the polar ends of the brake spectrum.

The V2 is arguably one of the most powerful brakes on the market, designed for DH bikes, vented rotors to reduce heat build up.

The Mini Pro on the other was designed for XC racers, weight shaved every possible, carbon levers, Ti everywhere. I'm pretty sure it's the lightest brake on the market. (?)

Comparing the regular Minis to the M4's is a decent comparison, but the Mini Pro to the V2 doesn't make much sense...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its not really a comparison. I trying to figure out whether is should go with the lightest thickest brake set or the most powerful most adjustable system. My bike is not a 20 lb XC bike. I have one of those and it has V brakes.. I love the adjustablity of the V2 and I know I will never need more brake. I just concerned that the Mini might not be enough brake. I have XT brakes on it now and the lever is rock hard, no modulation, and not enough power.

LA CHÈVRE
    No modulation on XT brakes? Must be something wrong with them. With a good bleed and maybe bigger rotors, they could be working great IMO...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    No modulation on XT brakes? Must be something wrong with them. With a good bleed and maybe bigger rotors, they could be working great IMO...
    Dan, you need to ride Hope brakes to understand what modulation really is. XT are very good brakes but Hopes are better in modulation IMO.

mmills416, I'd consider Mono M4 vs V2 instead, if you don't ride really long downhills the M4 will be fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Intrestingly, Cannondale suggested against the 203 rotor on the lefty. There are interface issue between disk and the dust boot when you get over 180mm. I settled on the Mono Mini's 180f and 160r today.

Thanks for all the imput.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    At 225, the Mini in the front won't be enough IMO. Why risk it? Get a M4 front. The weight difference between the M4 & Mini caliper is minimal, don't remember the exact number but it was just a few grams I was surprised, that's what I'm running on my Rush by the way 180mm Mono M4 front/160mm Mono mini rear and I weight 180 in full riding gear.

Hope this helps