mtbr member
    May 2010

Hollowgram Spindle Size - again

First let me start by saying I've read the other hollowgram spindle threads.

My question has to do with spindle sizes. I have a 2011 Jekyll Utimate running the XX drive train. I bought a 3x9 spider because the lowest gearing on the XX is not low enough for what I ride. I swapped the spiders and mounted a 22/32/BG on my hollowgram but I found that the chain just barely touches the front derailleur when in the lowest gear.

The derailleur is adjusted as far as it can go. The bearing shield on the non-drive side of the spindle is also the thinnest one, I have the thicker one in my tool box so I compared them. So it looks like the only option is a different spindle.

I measured the spindle and I think it's 131 mm. I say "think" because I couldn't get the bearing shield off the non-drive side - it was on really tight and I didn't want to risk damaging it. So when I meaured I had to measure from each side of the bearing sheild and add the two measurements (110 and 21) to get 131 - note this measuring would count the thickness of the bearing sheild twice but it is wafer thin.

Now reading all the other spindle threads seems to indicate that CDale is standardizing on 132. Is this the case? or does CDale still have multiple sizes depeding on the drive train you run. I'm thinking if mine is 131 that a 132mm spindle will resolve my issue since the granny just touches the derailleur when in low gear, one up from low gear has no rub. I'm pretty confident that the extra 1 mm will solve my issue - assuming the extra 1mm is on the drive side of the spindle flange.

So in a nutshell my q is:

What is the official size of spindle on a Jekyll Ultimate running XX - 131 or 132mm? and is the extra 1 mm on the 132mm on the drive side of the flange?

Thanks in advance for your replies...
    Last edited by dkestar; 02-01-2011 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi,

The size of the spindle is written (crypted) on the non-drive side, at the end of the spindle. (in very small letters on the top of the spindle). It should mention 131mm or 132mm in your case.

Hereby you avoid measuring the spindle which is very difficult when installed.

Normally it should be a 132mm that is used for the Jekyll

Greetz
    Ron

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure it is 132mm. I don't have the Jekyll yet but I am using both XX Hollow gram SL on my Flash and Scalpel Team and they are 132mm.
    If you need smaller gearing why not try a 26t on the XX. This is what I am using and plan to use also on the Jekyll (when I get it!) I think you only lose out on two gear's compare with a 22t chainring.
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    I am pretty sure it is 132mm. I don't have the Jekyll yet but I am using both XX Hollow gram SL on my Flash and Scalpel Team and they are 132mm.
    If you need smaller gearing why not try a 26t on the XX. This is what I am using and plan to use also on the Jekyll (when I get it!) I think you only lose out on two gear's compare with a 22t chainring.
    Hmmm...this is unfortunate...I was hoping that mine is a 131. I'm not in a position to check right now but I'll look for the markings when I have a chance. I am running the 26/39 front rings and I run out of gear in a few cases.

If my current spindle is 132mm does anyone have any suggestions on how to run a triple on the hollowgrams? All the other Jekylls run 3 on the front but none are spec'd with the hollowgrams, looks like there all FSA. I'm wondering now if my only option is to swap out the hollowgrams which is something I really don't want to do.

mtbr member
    The other thing you could do is ask Mattias from EP to make you a small chainring HERE or Zeta HERE They do one piece hollowgrams A little heavy but cheap and very good. I've used them before. An Italy brand. They do any size.
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkestar
    Hmmm...this is unfortunate...I was hoping that mine is a 131. I'm not in a position to check right now but I'll look for the markings when I have a chance. I am running the 26/39 front rings and I run out of gear in a few cases.

If my current spindle is 132mm does anyone have any suggestions on how to run a triple on the hollowgrams? All the other Jekylls run 3 on the front but none are spec'd with the hollowgrams, looks like there all FSA. I'm wondering now if my only option is to swap out the hollowgrams which is something I really don't want to do.
    You can run a triple on a hollowgram by just switching the spider. I ran a triple until I got the XX spider over the summer. (See below)

My 29er uses the 132mm spindle, when you look at your spindle there may not be any markings. Mine dosnt have any, you will have to measure it.

DSC01282

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yep, you definitely should be able to slap a triple on there whatever spindle length you have. It's been the standard for years and it will give you a bigger range then any 2x10 you can get. I have one on my 29'er and it's only in very extreme situations that I'll use the 22 tooth but why not have it on the bike, it doesn't add much weight, that's for sure.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    Yep, you definitely should be able to slap a triple on there whatever spindle length you have. It's been the standard for years and it will give you a bigger range then any 2x10 you can get. I have one on my 29'er and it's only in very extreme situations that I'll use the 22 tooth but why not have it on the bike, it doesn't add much weight, that's for sure.
    I have the triple spider and mounted it. Problem is the chain just touches the front derailleur when in granny on the front and big cog on rear. I just need to move the cranks about 1mm to the drive side (front derailleur is direct mount and cant be moved). This is why I'm hoping I have a 131 mm spindle and a 132 will fix this. I'll take out the spindle and measure it.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dkestar
    I have the triple spider and mounted it. Problem is the chain just touches the front derailleur when in granny on the front and big cog on rear. I just need to move the cranks about 1mm to the drive side (front derailleur is direct mount and cant be moved). This is why I'm hoping I have a 131 mm spindle and a 132 will fix this. I'll take out the spindle and measure it.
    I had a same problem... One, you can remove a little material on those posts the derailleur mounts to, not fun but if you're very careful it can be done. Two, derailleurs themselves often can be modified to provide more swing, I did mine on a wheel grinder. Three, under load that rub might lessen slightly, perhaps go away. It may be you can simply grab the cage with some pliers and bend it into a clearing position. I run my triple on a 122mm spindle meaning I had to gain around 4-5mm clearance inside, it was a pain but I was able to achieve this with an XT front derailleur. Thing shifts perfect now and no rub.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Your spindle is most likely a 132mm as Cannondale universally spec's these on their MTBs now. To adapt the chainline for the spindle on a 68mm shell with this spindle, Cannondale supplied the non drive side bearing cover with a tapered lip (instead of completely flat). You should make sure that this particular lipped bearing shield isn't mistakenly installed (because yours is a 73mm BB). This particular bearing shield has (68mm BB) written on it. If this is the case, then you'll have to change to the flat one and you'll get a few more millimeters of drive side clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md
    Your spindle is most likely a 132mm as Cannondale universally spec's these on their MTBs now. To adapt the chainline for the spindle on a 68mm shell with this spindle, Cannondale supplied the non drive side bearing cover with a tapered lip (instead of completely flat). You should make sure that this particular lipped bearing shield isn't mistakenly installed (because yours is a 73mm BB). This particular bearing shield has (68mm BB) written on it. If this is the case, then you'll have to change to the flat one and you'll get a few more millimeters of drive side clearance.
    I did check the bearing shield and it is not the thicker one. But this has me thinking, could I put a washer in at the cassette to move it away from the spokes thereby moving the chainline? Is there any play at that end?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ok, so I looked at my spindle and sure enough there was a 132 stamped on the end of it. I put the spider with the 22/32/BG back on and the chain rub when in 22x36 is so minor I can live with it. So all is good now - my gearing is right where I need it. Thanks to all who replied.