mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hollowgram SL 2x9 setup for SRAM XX (Taurine)

I have a Taurine with the Hollowgram SL 2x9 44/29, and need some help. I've bent the spider twice over the past 4 years, most recently a couple weeks ago. I'm fairly certain that the situation that causes this to happen is being in the 44 hammering up a small climb (lot of torque on the pedals) and then smacking a pedal into a rock or root. This is what I think happened in both cases, once back in 2008, and again just a couple weeks ago. The end result is I have a nasty wobble in both rings and the chain is rubbing on both sides of the front der guide during a full rotation (and the big ring is almost scraping the chainstay). Not good.

I've never had much luck with the chainline with this setup anyway - have never been able to use the small-small combo and even a couple cogs larger. Basically the 44 ramps interfere with the chain in those combos and it gets grabby.

So I am done with this setup, but I want to salvage the Hollowgram SL. Here's my question .. I want to use that beefer KP128 SRAM XX spider for the Hollowgram, but I'm not sure if it will work with the rest of my drivetrain. I'm running X.0 GRIPSHIFT, an XTR front der, an X.0 rear der, and a SRAM 9sp cassette. I know I can get the KP128 spider and the XX rings and the XX ring bolts (3 separate purchases), but I'm worried that it won't work with my Gripshift setup.

Will it?

Also, I noticed the XX rings (I'm planning on the 42/28 combo), come in a couple types, one of which is a "C" pin. I'm guessing the "C" means C'dale and that's the one I need for the Hollowgram, as I think the little overshift pin is the differentiating factor. Is that right? And finally ... which bolt set do I need?

Thanks!!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    as first thing you have to use a 10 speed chain

it works on 9 speed cassette too as well as 9 speed chains . so other parts mounted are ok.

i am not sure about the offset of the 2 spiders ...

at first look , a 42T instead a 44T means no scratching on the chainstay...

you have to try if mounting the XX spider with XX rings ( made for 10 speed chain , that's the reason of my first tip reguarding the chain ) there is enough clearance .

check the spindle , must be 132mm.

and maybe a way to solve rubbing , is to machine off the lip of the spindle , to move a 1 mm to drive side the spindle . doing this , you will need a spacer on the non dreive side too.

C pins are for Cannondale , yes.

XX spider has 2 BCD , 120 and 80mm .
    80mm is a BDC with normal bolts required for a granny ring.
    120mm , instead, is a special one: you need a M10 only male bolts with a different thread, less spacing inside threads.
    i know only stock Sram XX bolts and CarbonTi XX bolts only on the market for the 120mm XX ring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This would be your best bet for the chainrings, it's cheaper to buy this set which includes the bolts you need...then toss out the Specialized spider and mount them to your XX spider. These rings do have the shorter pin and will work with Hollowgrams.

TruVativ TV XX Chainrings and Spider for Specialized S-Works Crank in Tree Fort Bikes Chainrings (cat324)

You can mount these up with your existing drivetrain without any difficulty. Since you have a 9 speed front derailleur, you should stick with a 9 speed chain. It will work fine on those rings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I buy whatever is on the counter, have a temperature inset diameter 6mm from SST cut to length bore out the filling and hop presta pin, it is a tight fit (need pliers to push it on) and is it is from SST no problems.

Before cutting and bore I polish it so looks bling.
    I can cut it to whatever length suits the cranks, I think something like 11mm for SL.

Never ever waiting for a "C" XX chainring.

PS : A temperature insert can be found at industrial sites, a broken one is no big deal, and you can get them in any lengths up to 220m, enough for a few years ;-) or a temperature probe manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Really good info guys, I appreciate it.

After reading through all the ideas and comments, it sounds like I can do it! I do have a 132mm spindle on that Taurine (73mm shell), so that sounds like it will work. Sounds like I can go with either a 9sp or 10sp chain. Also sounds like I might have a problem finding "C" pin rings, but I'm going to start by looking for that set with the Specialized spider. That would make it easy if the rings and bolts are together and all I have to do is swap out the spider.

Just checking once more: GRIPSHIFT ... is that that going to be an issue (have X.0 gripshift)? My understanding is that XX and Gripshift don't work together, but maybe that's just for the rear der setup.

Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have X0 gripshift with XX and everythings works like a charm, of course have been tuned for 10V for almost a year now.

But if you use a X0 9V rear deri no problem to use a std X0 gripshift for 9V.

As for the front deri no problem the limits on the XX deri will stop your grip from getting more travel.
    Thing is you can customize the travel depending on your preference you only need 3 clicks that you can "custoimize" on the normal travel of 6 clicks or something. So it is possible to "choose" were the grip is shifting for a better grip and comfortable position on the grip.

As in front you don't need to know where you are just upshift or downshift couldn't be easier.

PS : If I recall it EliFlap is using X0 tuned for 10V for nearly 2 years now

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Things are getting a little too complicated here. As long as you're just changing chainrings, you'll be fine. Keep your 9 speed stuff and GripShift will work fine as it has. Since you've had 2 ring set up with your grip shift in the past, it will not be any problem for you to set it up. As far as the C pins, if you end up with the longer ones somehow, just grind it down with Dremel or belt sander....pretty simple.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by MirFlash View Post

PS : If I recall it, eliflap is using X0 tuned for 10V for nearly 2 years now
    yes

currently on my bikes ...cannot stay without them

on my Flash 29er i have a old 2009 X.0 rear mech 9 speeds working with X.0 gripshifters tuned to work with 10 speeds and an X.0 2011 11-36T cassette 10speeds

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    As far as the C pins, if you end up with the longer ones somehow, just grind it down with Dremel or belt sander....pretty simple.

or the marble step of the garage ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hollowgram SL 2x9 setup for SRAM XX (Taurine)-img_23751.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    or the marble step of the garage ...
    I love it! Nice, Eliflap....even more simple than my suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yes it will, have the exact same set up (Scalpel) and works/ shifts perfectly -
    Im running a 42/28 with a 32t XTR cog,, 9 spd chain, XO RD, XTR FD, XO Grips.

I also alternate with a 39/26 (same 32t cog) for the climbs
    Last edited by spartan23; 03-03-2012 at 04:04 PM.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i see some chainsuck wear signs ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    i see some chainsuck wear signs ...
    yes, those occured when I had my 44/29

ohh and the 5 spoke C'dale spider is lighter than the KP128 4 spoke
    (Im sure you already know that )

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Left Max 130 FFD cartridge Leaking oil how do you get to damper cartridge.

mtbr member
    May 2010