mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Hold out for 2011 Lefties?

So my 2010 Speed Carbon SL is on the fritz with a damper issue. I am planning on building another bike this fall and winter for a spare and plan on another Lefty. Now I'm thinking about just getting the Lefty now so I have a spare I can put it on my current bike while my current Lefty is serviced. The new bike is going to be a little more budget friendly so I was going to put on the Lefty Speed 110 Alloy. Should I pick one up now or wait for the 2011's? What's the major changes? Just the X-Loc? I have heard some rumblings from the Reba guys that the X-Loc isn't all that so it may not be worth waiting for if it's the only thing changed.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    at now , we can only see forks arriving with bikes

hi end bikes have 100 mm Lefties , in carbon or alloy

the X Lock is the new , but for the forks without X Lock have the PBR button

no more lockout levers

so all the internal lockout assembly is vertical working , no horizontal working as 2010 and backwards

( hope to be understandable , sorry for my english if not )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    I have heard some rumblings from the Reba guys that the X-Loc isn't all that so it may not be worth waiting for if it's the only thing changed.
    X-Loc had a really solid feeling when I rode it. The lefty seemed to lock and unlock very easily and the lockout seemed more solid than a DLR with a lever.

Who are the Reba guys?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    X-Loc had a really solid feeling when I rode it. The lefty seemed to lock and unlock very easily and the lockout seemed more solid than a DLR with a lever.

Who are the Reba guys?
    People who have been running Rock Shox Rebas with the X-Loc have been reporting less than stellar performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    People who have been running Rock Shox Rebas with the X-Loc have been reporting less than stellar performance.
    Ok, I wasn't sure who the Reba guys were. Is the lack of performance after a long period of owning the fork or do they say it was from the beginning. Like I said, I rode it and it was very solid. Then again, the bike I rode was build 2 weeks previous and only ridden around parking lots, so of course everything felt perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think I may just go ahead and pick up a 2010 Lefty Speed. I really don't need the X-Loc as I'm completely happy with just flipping the lever and not having more cables in the cockpit. It looks like the new 2011's are all a bit heavier as well. How does the PBR compare to the Solo Air? Is it worth waiting just for the PBR if I'm not interested in the remote lock-out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I went ahead and purchased another 2010 Speed Carbon SL for a spare and soon to be future build. Got it through Project 321, good folks over there.

mtbr member
    isnt the advantage of the 2011 PBR and X-Loc version that they both have adjustable blow off when locked out? For me, that would have been worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    isnt the advantage of the 2011 PBR and X-Loc version that they both have adjustable blow off when locked out? For me, that would have been worth the wait.
    Well I wasn't holding out for the X-Loc for that reason as I understand there is no external adjustment for the blow off. Waiting for the PBR may have been worth it though. It's not that important for me though and the 2010 DLR is a bit lighter.