mtbr member

High performance bearings

I love my 2013 F29 Carbon 3. It is a great handling bike...

One thing I did notice is that it doesn’t seem to coast as long as my old bike. I pulled the front wheel off thinking I would check / repack the bearings only to find it has sealed bearings.

Has anyone replaced the stock bearings with something higher performance? Would this be a worthwhile update, or a waste of time?

Here is what is listed on the specs for the bike:
    FORMULA LEFTY SL FRONT
    SHIMANO FH-M525, REAR

mtbr member
    You can just get the numbers off the bearings and go look for them online. Doesn't have to be specifically on a bike sight. The bearings don't know they came from a bike. You may be able to source them elsewhere. Another thing you can try is removing them if you can with out damaging them and remove seals then clean everything out. Once you have them all clean and they are spinning more freely just do a light grease that will give lube to the races, but still allow free movement. If the bearings are notchy at all just replace them.

Helmetless Crasher
    U might be wasting your time. The "coast test" is not a very good one to determine whether front wheel bearings need to be replaced. What happens when u just spin the front wheel by hand? That will isolate any bearing drag better than coasting, which includes a lot of variables such as tire type, psi, wheel/tire weight, rider weight, freewheel type and condition, rear wheel bearings, etc.

In my experience, the front wheel bearings do not wear as quickly as the rear simply because they do not see the grit, grime, water, torque, weight, etc than the rear wheel bearings see.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd check other places first. More rolling resistance from the tires, maybe?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx