mtbr member

Hey Dan Gerous...

What is the scoop on these mavic wheels other than what you already posted on your blog they look like the Mt.Bike Mavic R-SYS wheels however i have seen a set of those Mavic R-SYS fail badly at a local crit race so those carbon fiber spokes kinda scare me a bit.

The wife has a set of the stans ztr race 1210g wheels on her bike and they are crazy light and i'm thinking about breaking from the mavic fold myself and going with a set however if mavic is coming up with a chi-chi wheelset next year i may have to wait.

any thoughts...

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Real confidence inspiring when the prototypes start failing, shouldn’t it break once the consumers have bought it?
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    those spokes look huge

LA CHÈVRE
    The spokes are hollow carbon tubes... The wheels are apparently quite stiff but... There are no plans to sell the wheels. More, the pros just got them for the World Chmapionships but will have to give them back after the olympics (so says plate 11 in the picture above). I think Mavic knows they are not durable enough for mtb consumers. If I was in the market for a dedicated race wheelset right now, I'd go with the Notubes Race 7000.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    so you don't think we will see anything new of the horizon from mavic as far as mtb xc racing wheels in 09?

LA CHÈVRE
    Maybe, but the official word is that these arent slated to be sold... for now at least. But even if I can speak french, I have no inside information.

mad aussie
    Given the R-Sys wheels I have seen fail, usually catastrophically, I would be really dubious about running the same on a mountain bike, unless I had regular pits with spare wheels and they gave me a brand new set for free prior to the race.
    Given how many time I have had rocks or branches thrown up into my spokes I cant see those holding up for more than a race.
    I am really liking my custom ZTR Lefty wheelset right now.

Kevin

mtbr member
    I used a set of the rsys demo wheels, not complete failure, but slight failure. Not confidence inspiring at all. I do have good success with the stans ztr355 wheels. The best thing is that they seem to hold their bead much better when converting regular tires to tubeless better than the mavics.

I'm in the market for 128mm spindle as well, but Dan should get his first.

mtbr member
    I have ZTR olympics with a lefty hub and dirty flea rear on the way and cant wait to get them. I would be skeptical of the hollow carbon spokes on an off-road setting.

LA CHÈVRE
    More information can be found here...

But what I'm really after are the new Formula R1 brakes coming in at 280gr each end:

LA CHÈVRE
    The real production 09 SLR's? I don't like the stripes look created by the machined sidewalls, they should annodize after machining...

Source: EFG168's blog.

mtbr member
    they look like crosstrail rims gone bad. that rocky mountain doesnt look to good either. looks like it has the 15mm QR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    they look like crosstrail rims gone bad. that rocky mountain doesnt look to good either. looks like it has the 15mm QR
    [SIZE=2]Hopefully it looks and rides better in real life, and it is indeed a 15mm QR. And don’t forget that both the rims and bike are probably prototypes, the bike was only finalised 2 days ago.
    [/SIZE]

LA CHÈVRE
    The frame looks just like a Giant or Specialized... but the lower downtube makes the front triangle look way too big... or the wheels too small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Hopefully it looks and rides better in real life, and it is indeed a 15mm QR. And don’t forget that both the rims and bike are probably prototypes, the bike was only finalised 2 days ago.
    [/SIZE]
    yes hopefully they will end up looking better, the wheels will always be too pricey for my anyway and I dont think i would ever abandon cannondale for a rocky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The frame looks just like a Giant or Specialized... but the lower downtube makes the front triangle look way too big... or the wheels too small.
    exactly what i was thinking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    [SIZE=2]A supposedly reliable source is saying there will be a 29er version so perhaps that will look better proportioned, the pic looks like an oddly proportioned 69er though.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hre you have the 2009 setup from mavic http://cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=t...09_mavic_jun08

40 grams lighter slr still about 1500 grams, and the most disappointment is that they introduce a new freewheel body on the other models, they gets 7 degree POE, BUT the slr will still have the old one, with 17 degree. don´t understand why the will have it on the SK wheel, but not the SLR