mtbr member
    May 2007

Help with Rush tire clearance

I just got a good deal on a set of Nevegal 2.35 tires to put on my Rush 600, and the swingarm clearance is no problem at all, and in the stand the tire spins freely. However, when actually riding and the rear suspension compresses at all the side knobs rub against the front derailleur intemittently when pedaling. I'm not sure if the tire has a slight wobble or if this is from rear end flex, but is there anything else that can be done about this? It is rather annoying since the swingarm and seat tube have plenty of clearance.

On the positive side, for those complaining about pedal/ crankarm strikes with the rush, the larger profile tires have basically eliminated my formerly frequent rock strikes.

Has anyone else run tires this size on a Rush before?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ran a Nevegal 2.35 on the front for a while. I realized after a bit that the slim XC rims (Mavic X117) specced on the bike created a really poor rounded profile to the tire. The end result was the side knobs were rendered pretty ineffective and the front washed out alot. Putting a Nevegal 2.1 on the front helped cornering and dropped alot of weight in the process. I could see how those tires would give you more clearance though since they are tall tires, especially when rounded out on thin rims.

can't help you on the derailleur rubbing...never ran a big tire on the rear

mtbr member
    I'm actually using a pair of Caballero CST PRO 2.35 that came with my Rush 4 (07). Even though they are high tires, I'm still having problems with smashing the crankarms on rocks. Guess it depends on type of trail u ride...

Also, as squads mentioned, I'm really having a hard time taking fast and closed curves/cornering, the tires, specially the front, keeps on washing to the sides. IT SUCKS!! Getting wider rims should resolve the problem? Or getting smaller tires??
    2010 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2006 Specialized Allez Comp

LA CHÈVRE
    I wouldn't change your rim for that, the tire maybe but even that... Good technique and proper tire pressure can do wonders in corners. Experience will also help the pedal smash department, learning to time your pedal strokes in certain situations is a part of mountain bike people don't seem to learn nowadays... What's your tire pressure? Frequent front tire wash outs usually mean too much pressure... or lack of cornering skills, you need to use your whole body to use your weight to help grip, you might have your weight too far back in corners... Since I have no idea of your skills and experience, you might already know all that...

As for the rear tire size issue. Bike companies have adjusted to the wider tire trend but with short chainstays, you still have the front derailleur limit. With big tires, if the tire is really close to the derailleur cage, it's very common that frames or the rear wheel flex under high power and rub on the derailleur. It was happening to me too on my Prophet with big tires. It's more annoying than hurting anything though. The 2008 Shimano XT front derailleurs apparently have a shorter cage to allow more tire room.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Interesting about the short chainstay/ front deraileur clearance issue. I guess I am afraid to use teh little ring because of the rubbing, but I am going to try to adjust it to not hit so much. Are there any other deraileurs with a shprter cage that would clear a little better, or would I have to wait for the XT 2008 version.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by dawkins20
    Interesting about the short chainstay/ front deraileur clearance issue. I guess I am afraid to use teh little ring because of the rubbing, but I am going to try to adjust it to not hit so much. Are there any other deraileurs with a shprter cage that would clear a little better, or would I have to wait for the XT 2008 version.
    Well, I never put many front derailleur side by side so I can't say.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :