Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

New question here. HELP! Rize 1 Carbon Frame Crack! Warranty but no longer have this frame!!!

I LOVE THIS BIKE!

I have owned, ridden and raced many bikes, this is by far my most favorite bike I have ever owned, an honest 23lb, about $8K into it, it is the bomb. UNFORTUNATELY I recently noticed some stress cracks in the frame, so I brought it to the local bike shop and they took it from me... essentially... they felt strongly enough that it required to be sent in for warranty.

I typically ride about 5 days a week so this is A DRAG, to say the least

Here's the problem ... They most likely will not have this frame anymore, if this is the case, I assume my choices would be the RZ One Forty 1 or the Jekyll. I have ridden the RZ One Forty and didn't like it near as much as mine, I've heard great things about the new Jekyll but concerned about the weight and the ability to climb as well as my Rize1. The bike shop was pushing the RZ like they want to get ride of them... hmmmm

Has anyone ridden both bikes to give me an opinion on which frame to get?

My other option would be to sell what ever frame they give me and get an Ibis SL-R
    That would be my second most favorite bike!

http://www.designcomarketing.com/rize/rize-0.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Sorry... here's the photo of my Rize 1 carbon that I'm going to miss dearly

26er
    Well I just took the RZ for a spin around the parking lot and was not impressed with the ride. I would recommend a Jekyll the bike climbs on par with the ibis sl-r and you can probably hit around 25lbs or so with a the Jekyll. Just get rid of the reverb and go with a smaller tire and some light wheels and you will shave some weight. The bike comes with 2.4s which are probably overkill for most riders. I switched my rear out to a 2.2 right away.

My buddy has the ibis and that bike has some chain suck issues when you start to get it dirty. Creek crossing really do a number on the bike due to where they placed the chain stay.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Well I just took the RZ for a spin around the parking lot and was not impressed with the ride. I would recommend a Jekyll the bike climbs on par with the ibis sl-r and you can probably hit around 25lbs or so with a the Jekyll. Just get rid of the reverb and go with a smaller tire and some light wheels and you will shave some weight. The bike comes with 2.4s which are probably overkill for most riders. I switched my rear out to a 2.2 right away.
    I will most likely use the parts off of my Rize1... As for the Fork, I assume they would give me a new fork as well? RZ would be the Lefty 140 and the Jekyll would come with a Fox.. i think. I think everything would be compatible except my "Lefty" hub, which I would need to get replaced if I got the Jekyll (if they'll even let me have the Jekyll... TBD i suppose)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    RZ140 Carbon and Rize One are pretty much the same frame (except the color of course)... The only difference is the shock, which you can use your current RP23.

BTW where the cracks on the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ollllllo
    I will most likely use the parts off of my Rize1... As for the Fork, I assume they would give me a new fork as well? RZ would be the Lefty 140 and the Jekyll would come with a Fox.. i think. I think everything would be compatible except my "Lefty" hub, which I would need to get replaced if I got the Jekyll (if they'll even let me have the Jekyll... TBD i suppose)

I also currently own a 2009 Rize 1 which I love. I have demo’ed a 2011 Jekyll 1 last month; I was impressed with the Jekyll for what it is. However I would never consider racing the Jekyll, the Rize 1 seems like it’s a more capable climber IMO and just faster. For doing all day fun rides I would take the Jekyll over the Rize as it felt better suited for bombing down the descents and railing rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395
    I also currently own a 2009 Rize 1 which I love. I have demo’ed a 2011 Jekyll 1 last month; I was impressed with the Jekyll for what it is. However I would never consider racing the Jekyll, the Rize 1 seems like it’s a more capable climber IMO and just faster. For doing all day fun rides I would take the Jekyll over the Rize as it felt better suited for bombing down the descents and railing rock gardens.
    Yes, I totally agree HOWEVER there are no more Rize 1 Carbons available, that's the issue!

I'm not racing anymore, but like to ride fast up and down, I do enjoy about 3 or 4 Tahoe rides a year which would be fun a Jekyll, BUT I LOVE TO CLIMB and REALLY enjoyed my Rize on the climbs and might be disappointed with the difference in the 2 bikes... I'm thinking "if" they have the RZ One Forty 1 still in stock, that would be what they send. Regarding color, as you can see all of my components match the White & Red theme of the Rize 1... The RZ One Forty 1 is Green & Black... YUK, well at least with red and white components.. Color is the last consideration, but it is important to me as I spent several $$$$ trying to get it all to match to look ultimately pretty cool with the Red & White theme of the Rize 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good luck. I was in the same exact situation. Cannondale replaced my Rize 1 130mm cracked CARBON unit with a RZ Five 140mm ALLOY unit and took 9 months to do it. And no, they will not replace your fork. They claim that nothing changed from the 130mm to the 140mm frame so you're 130mm fork will work just fine. okeee dokeee. Who knows if that's really true.

Really awesome how my resale tanked. Take note consumers, this is how they treat someone that spent $5k on one bike. Warranty it (if you can), part it out, cut your losses and buy a brand that cares about it's customers.

I truly hope your experience is better.
    Last edited by nmanchin; 04-28-2011 at 11:55 AM.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

I'm with stupid
    The weight difference of the rize in the carbon to the aluminum version would be barley noticeable. Might want to look down that route

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alloy is actually lighter. But that's not always the point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin
    Good luck. I was in the same exact situation. Cannondale replaced my Rize 1 130mm cracked CARBON unit with a RZ Five 140mm ALLOY unit and took 9 months to do it. And no, they will not replace your fork. They claim that nothing changed from the 130mm to the 140mm frame so you're 130mm fork will work just fine. okeee dokeee. Who knows if that's really true.

Really awesome how my resale tanked. Take note consumers, this is how they treat someone that spent $5k on one bike. Warranty it (if you can), part it out, cut your losses and buy a brand that cares about it's customers.

I truly hope your experience is better.
    YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! That is BULL#&*%T! The frames are different geometry, the front and back shock are 140mm as opposed to 130mm on the Rize!

Head Tube angle on the Rize is 68.5 the Seat Tube is 72.5
    Head Tube angle on the RZ is 68 the Seat Tube is 72

Wheel base on the Rize is 107.7
    Wheel base on the RZ140 is 108.1

To name a few differences... not a huge difference but they are different

If i where to receive a Aluminum frame instead of the carbon???? Basically anything less than what I have I'm going to be PISSED! to say the least. I have put $8K into this bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    And they used my original RP23 off the 130. so it's hard to tell how the bike will really handle. I haven't even ridden it yet. Not sure I'm going to.

There are no carbon frames left. So you need to prepare your approach. As you know, if you aim for a jekyll you'll likely be fitting the bill for a new fork and wheelset, and possibly crank.

In that scenario I'd hope they would give you the lefty to sell.

After the rep. has looked at the bike and made a decision I would contact Cdale N/A to confirm the replacement plan.

It's an unfortunate situation. Sorry you have to deal with it. In the meantime, buy a cheap single speed and experience a whole new outlook on XC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin
    And they used my original RP23 off the 130. so it's hard to tell how the bike will really handle. I haven't even ridden it yet. Not sure I'm going to.

After the rep. has looked at the bike and made a decision I would contact Cdale N/A to confirm the replacement plan.
    I just received a call from the bike shop, apparently C-Dale is sending a RZ140 carbon "Triangle" for replacement... I asked about the color, they are calling me back on that. The ONE FORTY "1" is green and black.. the ONE FORTY "2" is red... red would work better with all components I have... we'll see what they say

So I guess I will be using my 130mm shock and fork on a frame that is designed for a 140mm... THAT SUCKS! They told the bike shop it's exactly the same as my Rize which is BS, it's listed on the friken C-Dale site different geometry

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I really hope you get a carbon frame. But I got the same story and ended up with alloy.

mtbr member
    I am looking right now for a swingarm which I cracked after riding for just 2 month. No warranty for me cause the frame was bought from ebay(brand new). Dealer wants $450 for the swingarm! And it's not even gonna be the same color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Here arephotos of the cracks in the frame

Right Side

Close up of right

Left Side Cracks

Close up of Left Center

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    [B]
    Head Tube angle on the Rize is 68.5 the Seat Tube is 72.5
    Head Tube angle on the RZ is 68 the Seat Tube is 72

Wheel base on the Rize is 107.7
    Wheel base on the RZ140 is 108.1
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that they measured both bikes with different travel fork. With the longer travel lefty on the RZ140, the geometry measurement is different then the Rize. I have a Rize 1 too and my buddy got a RZ140 2, same size, both frames visually look identical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that they measured both bikes with different travel fork. With the longer travel lefty on the RZ140, the geometry measurement is different then the Rize. I have a Rize 1 too and my buddy got a RZ140 2, same size, both frames visually look identical.
    For sure it would raise the BB Height... going from 130mm to 140mm would do that HOWEVER, the geometry numbers for the head tube / set tube angles as well as the wheelbase, should be identical since C-Dale claims they are "Identical" but they are not, the specs are listed differently on the site

mtbr member
    Is there any chance I can buy a swingarm from you?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The structure of the 140mm lefty is also a tad longer then the 130mm lefty. It's an effective when you put a longer travel fork to the frame, the geometry of the bike changed, as well as the head tube / seat tube angles. Imagine the front end of the bike lifted up with a longer fork....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler
    The structure of the 140mm lefty is also a tad longer then the 130mm lefty. It's an effective when you put a longer travel fork to the frame, the geometry of the bike changed, as well as the head tube / seat tube angles. Imagine the front end of the bike lifted up with a longer fork....
    So I wonder how much difference it will be with the 130mm set-up?

I wonder what I could sell the 130 set for? AND how much the 140mm set would cost?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So I wonder how much difference it will be with the 130mm set-up?

I wonder what I could sell the 130 set for? AND how much the 140mm set would cost?
    it's like deja vu for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The C-Dale Rep called the bike shop saying they only have a small in Black/green... that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with stupid
    Normaly 1" longer fork makes the head tube slack out 1 degree and same with seat tube, as well as making bottom bracket go up and wheel base increase.
    So with 10mm ( roughly 1/2") there is you .5 degrees in geometry difference between the two. The frames are the same, just on the RZ 140 the fork is longer thus making the numbers tweak a bit. Same frame, just different fork. I spoke with a few cannondale reps and whatnot when the rz 140 first came out about selling my rize for it and was told it was nothing different just the lefty was 140. That they had to change the name of the bike to the rz because there is a truck lift kit company that is names rize so it was some legal mumbo jumbo. Only thing going to be different is the color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If the black/green frame is there final answer... It's for sale!

I've got way too much invested in the red and white theme and resale on a RZ One Forty 1 with my set up would not go over well. I'd be better off selling a brand new RZ 140 frame and my 130mm legty fork separate... I guess I would sell the cranks with the frame?

Cannondale just lost a long time customer ( this us my 3rd cannondale... From Rush to Rize)

WTF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast