mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Help removing stem on F4.

I have a 2008 F4 and would like to replace the stem.

The stock stem is 120mm @ 5 degrees. I am thinking of going with a 90mm @ 10 degrees to get me a little closer and a little higher.

First of all, does anyone see any issues with the brake cables or gear cables not fitting right afterwards???

Secondly, is this something I need to go to a shop to do or can I do it by myself? I haven't replaced stems since riding BMX bikes years ago. I know things have changed alot.

Any good walk-throughs, detailed instructions or pictures would be great.
    2008 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No issues at all.. just loosen the bolts and swap them out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    No issues at all.. just loosen the bolts and swap them out.

How about the lever thing that is for locking out the shock? Anyhting special I need to do to it?

Also, here is the stem I am considering. Do you have any input on whether or not it will fit?

Here is the .pdf link. It's the Team 3d stem

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/en/tr...pecs/stems.pdf
    2008 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Won't work dude. That stem is for 1 1/8" steerers. Cannondale uses a proprietary size for their Headshoks. I believe 1.56". I'm not sure if the 1.5" stems work.

As for the lockout lever on the super fatty ultra DL, just use a hex driver to remove it. Comes right off, then you can slide the stem through it.

Quote Originally Posted by de8212
    How about the lever thing that is for locking out the shock? Anyhting special I need to do to it?

Also, here is the stem I am considering. Do you have any input on whether or not it will fit?

Here is the .pdf link. It's the Team 3d stem

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/en/tr...pecs/stems.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks for letting me know, almontebarnes. i guess I can email cannondale to see if they recommend one. Do you know any that might work for my situation?
    2008 Cannondale F4

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Look on ebay for a stem in the size you want...and yea the steerer is 1.56" 1 9/16"

CDT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Look on ebay for a stem in the size you want...and yea the steerer is 1.56" 1 9/16"

CDT

Thanks for the advice CDT. I'm just not finding anything on ebay or google that's 1 9/16 and has the kinda rise I want.

I may end up just taking it to the shop but I really wanted to try and find something one my own.
    2008 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    your cannondale stockist will/should have a 'suitcase' full of the specific 1.5" steerer stems you need for this bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beavola
    your cannondale stockist will/should have a 'suitcase' full of the specific 1.5" steerer stems you need for this bike.
    I agree. they should.
    2008 Cannondale F4

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Well depends on the search parameters...
    Lefty stems

Cannondale stems

Still you have to sift through to be sure it the exact stem you want..
    CDT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by de8212
    I agree. they should.
    Any Cannondale dealer worth it's title would have "the" suitcase.

When you're trying to fit someone to a bike, you need a range of stems to accomodate their induvidual needs and you can't just dive into the "spare stem" box due to the nature of the 1.5" headshok/lefty itself...

Where are you located? Maybe my shop could help if your shop isn't able to.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    They did have a "suitcase" of stems when I bought the bike. I asked about getting the bars a little higher and a little closer with replacing the stem and/or bars. They looked in the suitcase and said they don't have anything that would work but could order me a set of high rise bars. I may just end up going that route but I wanted to do some research and see if there was something available on my own.

I even emailed cannondale and they gave me a couple of different manufacturers to try but I couldn't find anything in the rise/length I thought would work.
    2008 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Tell me what size bar (25.4/31.8) you need and what length/angle you need and I'll see what we have in OUR suitcase!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks beavola

I went by my local shop today. they are going to try and get me something to try out. Hopefully it will work.
    2008 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    ok dude - the offer still stands if they can't help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks for the offer, beavola.

They should have somehting for me early next week but then I'm going on vacation mid week so it will probably be a little over 1.5 weeks before I know how everyhting is.
    2008 Cannondale F4