mtbr member

New question here. Help! Prophet drivetrain chaos!

I rode my prophet everywhere for over half a year now with smooooth performance all over. Then two things happen at once: 1) the rear xtr derailler cage bent out of shape, 2) front derailler cable kept slipping off the routing channel on the derailler body.

(I think my buddy who borrowed the bike for half a day misshifted badly with the dual controls and hopelessly crossed the chains, then REALLY cranked the heck out of it...i can't imagine how else both deraillers got whacked at the same time like this)

The rear derailler is a write off. So I am making the switch to SRAMs. Got the triggers too. Problem is, even with the new rear der, the front der's cable is still slipping off.

Here's my : 1) Anyone had problems with the e-type front der's cable routing slipping off repeatedly? 2) Can I use a bottom-pull, clamp type derailleur on a Prophet, even though C'dale recommends e-type anyway? (Don't give a damn about warranties at this point.) My LBS thinks it will work but I am skeptical.

Any wise words?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robotfood99
    I rode my prophet everywhere for over half a year now with smooooth performance all over. Then two things happen at once: 1) the rear xtr derailler cage bent out of shape, 2) front derailler cable kept slipping off the routing channel on the derailler body.

(I think my buddy who borrowed the bike for half a day misshifted badly with the dual controls and hopelessly crossed the chains, then REALLY cranked the heck out of it...i can't imagine how else both deraillers got whacked at the same time like this)

The rear derailler is a write off. So I am making the switch to SRAMs. Got the triggers too. Problem is, even with the new rear der, the front der's cable is still slipping off.

Here's my : 1) Anyone had problems with the e-type front der's cable routing slipping off repeatedly? 2) Can I use a bottom-pull, clamp type derailleur on a Prophet, even though C'dale recommends e-type anyway? (Don't give a damn about warranties at this point.) My LBS thinks it will work but I am skeptical.

Any wise words?

use the E type derauiler, the bottom pull clamp type will sit too low on the tube and if its at the correct height the rear swingarm will probably hit it and also it will be even more of a pain in the ass to tune than it is already. E-type works fine and thats what the bike is designed to use...

Members who have read this thread: 0