Thread: help a new guy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

help a new guy!

Hey im new to biking and was interested in buying one. my neighbor approached me to buy his because he hasn't rode in 2yrs. He has a Purple Cannondale M900 mountain bike w/ pepperoni stickers on the struts. from what i can see it's in good condition just needs to pump the front tire up. I'm not sure what year it is but when I asked him how much he was looking to sell it he replied "how much do you want to buy it for you tell me" problem is im not sure i have no idea how much that bike goes for. like i said im a newbie, can anyone tell me how much a used one of these goes for? I'm interested but I don't want to get ripped off. Thanks for the help!

i apologize for not having pics i can maybe post one from my camera phone later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    oh this moutain bike doesnt have any shocks or anything. pepperoni stickers on the front and back and it's light weight too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    M900 wasn't made every year, but likely dates back into the mid 90's, so without knowing a little more or a picture it's hard to say what the bike is worth. I dug thru the catalogs @ www.vintagecannondale.com and found that the M900 was made in purple in 1995. I owned the 95 M800 which was identical except for the frame geometry. It sold for around $1000 new. Unfortunately it not worth anywhere near that now. if it looks like the attached pic - then while it's a nice bike, and light and all that good stuff - I personally wouldn't give more than $250 for it now - and that may be very generous.

You could ride it exactly as it sits, and still have a good bike to learn trail riding on - but if you start talking about adding front suspension (you can't add rear suspension- thought I'd throw that out there) - you'll need some other upgrades at the same time - namely the front brakes - cause what's on the bike now (unless it's been upgraded over the years) won't install on todays suspension fork. Do v-brakes on the front, and you'll need to replace the front brake lever. Upgrade the brakes both ends at the same time though - or you'll have unequal performance from front and rear. you could buy a decent suspension fork in the $150 range for something like the RockShox Dart3 - and get brakes and levers for something in the area of $50 (that's for Avid front and rear V-brakes with levers.) Then - you'd be set to take on pretty challenging terrain - for about $450-500 out of pocket including the bike - a lot less if you can get the bike for less than 2 bills and it's in good mechanical shape.

Also - you need to make sure the frame will fit you, or theres no reason to buy it at all. Find out the frame size - usually a sticker on the seat tube - will be in inches 16, 18, or 20 most likely. If you're within an inch or so of the guy trying to sell it, you might be ok - but there's no guarantee it fit him properly. Find the frame size (or get the serial number off the bottom of the bottom bracket - where the cables go undter the part where the cranks go through the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    It gets expensive fast fixing up an old bike eh?
    If its MINT and under $200 it could be ok... Also factor in what kind of riding you expect to do, and you might very well be better off with a new bike.
    Cdale's famous lifetime frame warranty is for the original owner too...
    CDT

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy who sells the M900
    "how much do you want to buy it for you tell me"
    Offer him 50$, if he hesitates, add a few beers. Don't go over 200$ even if it's like new. At that price, you can almost get a new entry level 2008 Cannondale hardtail.

And if you get it, keep it as is unless some parts are worn out. There's nothing like a full rigid bike with canti brakes to quickly transform a rider into a technical wizard... I started on a worse bike than this (even older, only 12 speeds and much much heavier) and still had plenty of fun. Old bikes are money pits if you want to get them up to date anyway, not really worth it if you ask me.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes thats it, thats the exact bike! thanks for looking into it Adrenaln' i didn't know it was from '95....i'll make an offer of $100-$200 max. for it. hopefully everything works out. i think it'll be a good starter bike if im more into riding i'll def look into getting a better equiped bike, thanks again for the help guys.