mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Help Needed: Cannondale Moto Carbon Headset for 1 1/8 fork

Have a custom built Moto Carbon. I originally put a Domain fork on with the intent of putting a lighter fork on. Well, that day came and purchased a Revelation Race series fork w/ a 1 1/8 steerer tube. Little did I realize that due to the integrated cups in the diablo headset, I can't find any reducer headsets compatible w/ the frame. Is there anything I can do (i.e. custom bearings to reduce to a 1 1/8) or am I stuck with returning my fork?

I've called Cannondale and they offer no reducers for that headset...headshock reducers won't work for the Diablo. Cane Creek's headsets don't appear to be compatible either.

mtbr member
    Are the cups on the Moto the same at on the Rize ? If so you can fit an FSA Orbit Z 1.5 Reducer Headset. I use this solution on my Rize with Fox Talas with 1 1/8 steerer.

This is the exact part im using.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/pr...educer_Headset

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i would return the fork.

for one, the reducers you are looking for dont officially exist. And second the moto actually cranks out 178mm of rear travel, not the 160mm thats advertised. This travel difference between the shorter travel Revelation will make for a pretty crappy ride i think.

also, just for clarification I think the new 150mm revelation is one of the best forks available, just not a good match for a moto.

I think a 36, a Lyrik or even a Totem would be much better.

good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks!

I was told by Cannondale that the ID of the Rize is different from that of the Moto. Also because the cups in the Moto are integrated, a standard headset won't work. Shame on me for not doing a little more research on the "Diablo" headtube design. Love the frame though and wouldn't trade it for the world so will have to deal with the proprietary headaches for another year.

I had actually considered the consequences to the ride given the extra travel in the rear. Before I purchased the Revelation, I adjusted the travel on my Domain for several extended rides down to 150 and didn't notice any adverse handling but you're right that it may not be noticeable until several rides in. I also looked seriously at the Lyrik and Totem but they aren't offering any significant weight savings but they may be the best option for this year. I also looked at the 36's since they are fairly light but more than I was hoping to have to spend. I'm thinking I'm going to hold out for another year. For 2011, SRAM is going to offer a 1.5 for the Revelation. Since the weight of the 1 year old Domain isn't bothering me (I actually really love the fork) and isn't impairing my riding, then I'll probably just hold out another year. Biggest reason I'm wanting to lighted it up is for jumping.

Lastly, what I know will work are custom bearings. Anyone know a quality source for custom bearings?