mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Help Me With Scapel Parts

Got A Virgin 08 Scalpel 3

Looking To Buy A Carbon Riser Bar (low)

Carbon Or Lightweight Seat Post

Small Bar Ends

Seat Post Clamp

What Parts Would You Guys Recommend? Something Good Quality Thats Affordable...

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Seatpost- Thomson is my personal favorite
    Bar ends, I prefer ergon grips w/ the intergrated bar ends.

Carbon riser bar - I'm gonna throw one from waaay out in left field here, but I went to my LBS, and they steered me towards a carbon-fiber Giant house-brand bar. It was cheap (I payed $70) and was only 15 grams heavier than the Easton Carbon MonkeyLites..
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

LA CHÈVRE
    I use a Syntace Vector bar, it's light and tough, wide and available in two different sweeps. The Edge bars are also nice. Those two are on the expensive side tough...

Seatpost... Thomson's good but there are many options, I would just stay off of Ritchey posts, I have a Superlogic with the one-bolt head and I don't like the head much. FSA are way too expensive as they are heavy plus the K-Force carbon has one of it's bolt that's hard to reach...

I tried Ergons, they're popular but I didn't like their feel and they limit how and where you place your hands, I move mine quite a bit during a ride so I didn't keep them. Plus, Ergons weight like about 56 pairs of light grips. One of the best deals for bar ends is the Smica, under 60gr but very cheap.

Seatpost clamp, I just use the stock one, it's holding the post fine and I don't think it's worth the cost to upgrade just to save 10-15grams but Woodman has a light one that cost 15$, it's the Death Grip SL-Ti or something like that...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-19-2010 at 08:58 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    another question is what size bar do i need? i not sure how to measure the MM on the bar i have..im guessing its a 25.4mm? idk

LA CHÈVRE
    No it's a 31.8 bar, 25.4 is one of those dead standards nowadays. To know for sure, it's usually written on the bar but on the Cannondale stems too, there should be a string of number indicating the length, angle and diameter at the bar. 10005318 means a 100mm +5° stem with a 31.8 clamp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

FSA K Force

I've had good luck with these. Nice lightweight super strong carbon Bars.
    Don't ever cut them down though, as there s limited real estate on the 31.8 bars due to the budge at the stem interface.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    dan the only thing i see on the SI stem is 6nm..not sure what that is..

its a cannondale c3 flat bar..

mtbr member
    I have a truvativ noir world cup riser bar, I found it to have a low rise and not be too wide

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/product...-cup-riser-bar

Thomson masterpiece seatpost, and a slasa quick release clamp, I move my seat all the time.

Ergon Grips,

I love the setup, Ill get a picture in the morning and post it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    thx db. yea post some pics of all your setup. ill look into those bars especially bc they arent wide. how do you like those grips?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    That is the bar, I think I paid a little less for actually at my LBS though.

My scalpel is kinda a franken scalpel with wide bar, big tires and no big ring. I like to think of it as my hybird all mtn xc rig. My fiance also runs a riser bar on hers, a bit taller and wider, the bar was more to help with fit and extra leverage for her.

From Scalpel

From Scalpel

From Scalpel

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by arlovski27
    dan the only thing i see on the SI stem is 6nm..not sure what that is..

its a cannondale c3 flat bar..
    6nm is the torque you should tighten the bolts to (the four bolts that hold the faceplate that tightens the bar). The number I'm talking about is small and on the top of the stem but hidden under the the plastic cap that blocks the steerer...

I use a riser too, I like the wide position and the added sweep but now I will have to switch to a lower negative rise stem...

mtbr member
    Nice 911

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    what computer are you running?

mtbr member
    what computer are you running?
    Looks like a Garmin mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Nice 911
    Thanks, wish it was a 911, it is actually a Boxster S, and don’t get me wrong I am very lucky and happy to have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Looks like a Garmin mount.

You are correct, Garmin 305 to be exact, my fiancé bought it for me. I had wanted one for a while but was having a hard time justifying spending the $ on it. After having it I would be annoyed to ride without it. Being able to load the rides in Google earth has helped me find new entry and exit points to trails. Plus is the only way I ever remember what roads I actually rode on the road bike.

mtbr member
    arolvski27,

Here a few photos to help you baseline your build.

Stock seatpost

From Scalpel

Stock bar with spacer

From Scalpel

Stock Tires

From Scalpel

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    thx db. that bar, seatpost and tire are pretty light weight huh?...do you recommend me ditching those maxxis tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    nvm. lol. i looked at the pics of your carbon bar and seatpost and those stock parts are NOT light. what im really looking for is a low riser bar that NOT super wide. i dont like the wide stance bars so im not sure what measurement to start with or im guessing my LBS can just cut them down. im planning on using the ergon gribs with extensions

mtbr member
    thx db. that bar, seatpost and tire are pretty light weight huh?...do you recommend me ditching those maxxis tires?
    I was not a fan of those tires for my area, I am in WV, lots of rocks and roots and I like the high volume low pressure performance. Plus I never felt stable in high speed corners on those tires, always felt like they wanted to slide out. I keep debating if the 2.4 is too much up front, but till I buy a 2.25 to do a side by side with I don’t have a fair reference the rocket ron tread. The 2.25 rocket ron rear can rub a little when I sprint but nothing too bad. If I had a ralph in the rear I don’t think I would have the rub, but I like the tread depth.