mtbr member

help me decide scalpel 2 or 3

I can get the 3... or save for a while for thr 2. I know its better but does the differences justify the jump in price? Is there a happy medium such as getting the 3 and a few upgrades? Thanks this is a huge purchase for me don't want any regrets.

JDM
    mtbr member
    What will you use the bike for?

mtbr member
    trying to break into racing but I'd still like to be able to romp in the traills
    Which is why I chose f/s

JDM
    mtbr member
    If I were buying a canondale I'd be looking at the cheapest model with a lefty.

As you test ride ask yourself what what differences are perceptible. I'm guessing there will be few between the 2 and 3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Saving $ = not riding which = Alloy 3. I heard they over-produced these & under-produced the 2. Cdale had a promotion on them in March, my LBS said the price is about the same as that promotion. So basically Cdale has them on sale. I was strongly considering this bike, but opted to build up a smoking SS. IMO the benefit of carbon over alloy isn't weight, rather dampening. Full suspension doesn't need carbon. Get the alloy & upgrade item by item when you do have the funds. Or depending on where you live, consider the F29 carbon 3. Carbon SAVE rear takes a lot of the vibration out. Plus this would be considerably lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My advice is buy the Alloy 3 and add the Stan's Arch rims (I believe it should come tubeless given the price point but does not). This is what I did and am very happy with the setup. The bike is fast and can perform above my skill level. Like Clobber said the carbon advantage really is about dampening. Best of luck.

Happy Trails

help me decide scalpel 2 or 3

"I wish I'd bought a little less bike" ... said no one ever. The carbon advantage on Scalpel is NOT just about vibration damping. Get the best bike you can afford and feel satisfied with, then love what you ride, but a Scalpel with carbon frame and fork is pretty easy to get in under 24 pounds. My large with bigger 2.2 tires, cages, riser bar and computer is 23.1 pounds. Thats tough to do with Aluminum. (On the other hand my last old guy race loop on my murdered-out Scalpel was 71 minutes, and youngblood homeboy on Scalpel-3 aluminum went 59 and change... So it's the Indian not the arrow... And love what you ride.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I demo'd the 2 twice and totally fell in love with it, but... 3 different local LBS's could not get me one in a medium for many months, so I bought the Alloy 3 and upgraded it including Crest wheels, XO cranks (now XX1) and a few other bits... Extremely happy with my decision and I am solidly the 24 lb. range...
    A buddy of mine has been waiting for over 3 months for his 2 and was just informed of another delay, so he cancelled it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help me decide scalpel 2 or 3-cranks-003.jpg  

2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Decided to go with the 2, now waiting to find one. Is it worth waiting for the 2014? Im not a very patient person though. ...