mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Help me decide 2009 Rush Carbon 1 or Rize 2

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2009 new Cannondale, some pretty good deals to be had right now.
    I live in Park City, UT and ride 3 days a week, nothing to technical, some single track stuff, take it kind of easy.
    I was able to ride a Rize 2 which I really liked but then did some research on the Rush 1
    but the dealer didn't have one to try out.
    I called cannondale and they told be the big difference is in the amount of suspension
    where the rize has quite a bit more but at a price being a little heavier then the rush.
    If I am not riding supper bumpy trails would the rush be a better all around bike, or stick with the rize?

Thanks
    Steven

mtbr member

Rush V. RZ

I have a Rush 3 Carbon. Love it on long trails, climbs and light bumps. Don't lov it on highly technical bumpy terrain. Have had several bottom bracket to rock and root type contacts. Broken teeth on chainring, etc... The bottom bracket sits much lower on the Rush. No experience with the RZ, but I think the choice is crucial as related to your preference of trails. RZ= greater clearance. Rush= less fatigue and great handling over distance. Both great bikes, you need to decide which fits your needs. Make sure you go Lefty!
    DIPLOMACY: It's the art of letting others have my way...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks DesertDoc
    Yeah I guess it comes down to what kind of terrain I am going to be ridding.
    The Rize will do it all but like everything there is a trade off, I am just not sure how much.
    The bikes I am looking at cost the same 2399.99 for the 2009 model about 50% off of retail so there is no difference in price
    Hoping some other people out there can chime in

Steven

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I recently purchased an 09 Rush 1. I looked at the Rize and other models (I also have a Prophet).

For me a big factor was that the Rush is a proven design with true single pivot. This means reliable in my book.

It is comfortable, but as noted, the crank hanger is a bit low so pedal strikes can occur. Having said that I use it for technical goat trails as well as flowing single track and am very satisfied.

A bonus in my opinion is the FoxRLC carbon lefty, very light and very adjustable. It also should have the XTR wheels.

But in the end ride them both and choose the ride that feels best.

A nice problem to have, good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ASI CA
    You mentioned you tried the rize, what didn't you like about it, or was it the proven design of the rush...
    In terms of maintaining either bike would the rush have "less" problems?

mtbr member

Further Comparison

There are other great threads comparing Rise and Rush. Check them out. Similar advice - it's all about your riding style. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It was more the proven history of the Rush along with what I perceive as a keep it simple design.

As for service I have to think that servicing 1 rear suspension pivot is a bit easier than the 4 of the Rize/RZ line.

The Rush you are looking is white with green and black accents aka a stock carbon 1 and not the carbon 3?

mtbr member
    I would opt for the Rize, it will dose the XC thing nicely, but also allow you to ride more aggressive if need be. But the main reason i would take the Rize route is due to it being the newer and stiffer design ( especially out back). The Rush is at the end of its production and will most likely not be sold in 2011, as the RZ120 is already here to take its place, the Rize/RZ platform will be around for many years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey All. (my first post 8>)

I had the same dilemma. I currently have a Rush 4 and love the bike and was in the market to upgrade. I had a chance to ride a Rize 2 and a Rize 3. I like the idea of the rise having more clearance but when I look up the specs the Rize has only .4 inches over the Rush. Not much. Riding the Rize feels much more raised then the Rush. I felt lifted and was not use to the higher riding position of the Rize. The Rush has a lower center of gravity. This makes me feel more comfortable on fast turns and technicals. I also understand where your feet/pedals are positioned to the seat are slightly difference between the two. The Rush is more over the pedals then the Rize. I think its better uphill Geometry on the Rush.

In the end I went with the Rush Carbon 1. I figure I do not want the added travel in fear I was going to think I was 15 again and start doing tricks and end up in a cast. There will be no more riding at that point. I was very happy with the Rush 4 (30lbs) for the last 3 years and the Rush 1 (24.5lbs) is a great upgrade.

Kuau and I sounds like we know the same seller. I order the store demo Rush 1 from ebay for 2450 delivered. Seemed to good to be true…Should arrive Monday. 8)

I also understand that the 09s are the last year that Cannondale are making them in the US. Too bad. Another reason I bought an 09. There seems to be huge amount of surplus of the 09s…Bad economy??

Well I’m off to get an early morning ride at Jaoquin Miller here in norcal…Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for all the replies
    I wish there was a rush i can try to compare to the rize but my dealer on has the rize which in tested out and liked hmm now I am not sure what to do
    Mctwist yep going to buy from the same guy you did talked with him on the phone sounded cool to me
    I know I probably won't t need the extra travel on the rize but for me I am a bigger guy 6'1 210 lbs so don't mind sitting a little higher up

Cannondale freak
    Hi,

I have Rush sl 2 2009 EU. Great bike. Iīm in to marathon and long trips. Exactly yeasterday I was on a test bike day of one of the local dealers. Iīve tried rize 2 and was really amazed. I can say it climbs uphill same way as rush does (even is lighter) and downhill you cannont compare. Rize is a way far then rush. Pitty i havenīt try 120 rize, they had just big sizes.
    A question of maintanence is another way. But I have always something wrong after every race on rush, probably will be the same.
    Anothe bike I tried was flash HM 2. - never coming back to HT

mtbr member

Rush Carbon

Hey - Just checking in. Have you made up your mind? I still love the Rush. Love it enough I just bought another.
    Picked up the '09 Carbon 1. You are welcome to give it a whirl if you haven't made up your mind. Size is XL so it should be a decent fit.
    I'm also in Park City so it would be fairly easy to arrange. IM me when you have a chance and I'll get you contact info if needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Picking up my Rize 2 today :-)

mtbr member
    both are great choices. I have Rush Carbon, its a balanced bike based on our trail which is more climbs and less steep downhill. Its should also be faster than the Rize given the lesser travel. However, Rize should be a beauty for trails with more technical sections.

Semper Fi
    Jul 2007
    I have a Rize two and love it. It peddles better than most bikes. I came off a Trek EX8 and also have an Ibex Atlas Expert.

The Lefty is incredibly smooth and takes much abuse. I am a borderline AM/XC guy with AM being more of what I ride. I bomb it like the DH guys but shy away from huckin it. When climbing I have been accused of cheating. Lock it out and peddle. It just goes!

The bike is perfect for what I do.