Thread: Help me choose

mtbr member

Help me choose

Ok here is my dilemma..
    I have been going back and forth deciding on a Rush or a Prophet. Well I finally decided the Prophet.

Now I have been going back and forth between the Prophet 4 and Prophet 5.

My main concern was getting the better component package, crank, hydraulic brakes etc, and mainly the TPC fork on the 4.

Well my LBS said they would ad the Full TPC kit to the 5 for $35.00 more.

Now I have heard some bad things about the LX Hydraulics that come on the 4. Would I be better off saving almost $500.00 and putting on the brakes I want down the road as I need them? I should also say I'm coming from a entry level hardtail with v-brakes so any disc brakes will seem huge to me.
    Also if I go with the 5, would i be better off changing out the front rotor to a 203mm for more braking power? I'm a big guy at 6'-2 250#'s.

What are some other peoples opinions? I just don't want to regret my decision later.

Thanks
    Last edited by Miggs70; 04-25-2007 at 02:48 PM.

BDB
    I just checked out both bikes and if it was me I'd go with the 5 for the price difference. The 4 does have "better" components overall but the 5 has avid mech disc(which are great and all i've used) and all of the rest of the components are exactly whats on my F600 and everything works great. So far i've only used 160mm rotors and I'm not a small man either. 6'2, 230lbs

I wanted one of these also, my only problem is I really enjoy the hardtail feel overall. I just bought my C-dale a few months (2006 F600) ago and love it! The headshock is awesome for heavier folks, as is the lefty on that Prophet. Good luck!

mtbr member
    You know thats what I was thinking. It just seems for the component difference I'm not sure the 450 to 500 is worth it. When I could take that same amount of money and put it where it might work better, or to get what I want.

The most important thing to me was the fork..