mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. Help: looking for a new bike, considering Scalpel

Right now I am riding a Titus Racer-X with 80mm of travel in front and 3.5 inches in the rear. I have been considering getting a new bike in the next year or so. I happened across an XT equipped Scalpel was impressed (it was even in the right price-range). I am looking for a good all-around trail bike but do dabble in racing periodically. I grew up on a hard-tail and have thought it would be fun to go back to a bike with a little less travel (like a soft-tail or even a C'dale Scalpel). I was just wondering how people here felt their Scalpel performed. What about the Lefty? One concern I have is the propietary nature of this piece of equipment. How hard is it to get repaired? Are their any mechanical issues (overall)?

Thanks,

B.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    I can't say enough good things about the Scalpel. As a shop owner I get to ride a lot of different bikes, and the Scalpel is my all time favorite. It's both super stable and super responsive. And the Lefty is awesome - plenty plush and the steering precision is second to none. As for getting it repaired, they're actually quite easy to work on, but you do need specific tools - which any C-dale dealer should have. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Serac
    Right now I am riding a Titus Racer-X with 80mm of travel in front and 3.5 inches in the rear. I have been considering getting a new bike in the next year or so. I happened across an XT equipped Scalpel was impressed (it was even in the right price-range). I am looking for a good all-around trail bike but do dabble in racing periodically. I grew up on a hard-tail and have thought it would be fun to go back to a bike with a little less travel (like a soft-tail or even a C'dale Scalpel). I was just wondering how people here felt their Scalpel performed. What about the Lefty? One concern I have is the propietary nature of this piece of equipment. How hard is it to get repaired? Are their any mechanical issues (overall)?

Thanks,

B.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member

fgun

I also have a Scalpel , it's an 2003 800 model.
    I like it alot. I got this model for the headshok.
    I am quite happy with it.
    I have owned a few steel and alu. Hardtails. and have test ridden Specialized , Jamis and teck Full suspension bikes off road and must say that I have always like the Scalpel more than any of them , That's why I bought it .
    The Jekyll I owned had a lefty on it . I didn't care much for it having to take the wheel and brake caliper off it to have it on a rack. and for the xc riding I did . I didn't care for all the travel.
    I guess I like the headshok .
    I found the Scalpel a perfect balance of full / softtail suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Serac
    I've got a 2003 Scalpel 1000 with a Ti Lefty that I'm really happy with. The rear suspension is enough to take the edge off of the rough stuff so that a 30-40 mile day feels like about 10 miles on the hardtail. The Scalpel somehow manages to have an amazing mixture of precise handling and great stability. I love the riding position, the geometry, and the overall feel of the bike. With the rear locked out, it feels kind of like a slightly "loose" hardtail- there's still a tiny bit of shock absorption going on in the chainstays and the shock, but even in the rolling tight or technical singletrack where I might lock it out, it still feels very composed. I seldom lock out the front- mostly only during the rare occasions that I'm on pavement for several miles. Even without the rear locked out, it doesn't bob on climbs. The Lefty is amazingly precise and stiff.

Overall, for the type of riding I do (all mountain riding, heavy on the singletrack, in Southern California), I've never ridden a bike that I feel as at home on as the Scalpel.