mtbr member

Help! I need to buy a road bike

Hi guys,

I know this is a mtbr forum, but you guys have always been very helpful in the past, so I thought it would be worth asking the question. I'm looking to buy a road bike and am wondering if anyone can offer me some advice. I mostly want to use it for training, but I will be racing it next season as well (so long as it doesn't interfere with my XC races). My plan is to buy a SuperSix Evo (red) in the 2013 sales in a few months. I should in theory be able to pick one up for about 3k. I'm then going to buy a pair Zipp 303s which I should be able to get for about 1500. I'll slap some red decals on them to make sure they're all matching (very important ha). I can use the Ksyrium's for training and the 303s for racing. I'll also change the seatpost, saddle and stem if need be (will determine with a bike fit) and possibly, put an SiSl power tap on there.

What do you guys think? Or am I better off buying a complete for that sort of money? You will probably be able to pick up a team replica for about 5k around that sort of time? I don't particularly want team colours as I want it to be a bit more understated and unique.

Apologies for posting about road bikes *braces for impact*
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You'd get a hi-mod frame if you got the team replica, right? Maybe that's worth considering as well.

Otherwise, sweet bikes. I dream about a SuperSix, it won't be for a good while though

Ridin' dirty!
    Sounds like you have it all mapped out already so I would say go for it! That will definitely be a very nice personalized bike.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    3k is asking for a 1k discount. Not even sure there will be any left at that point (read: they are selling like hot cakes). The evo red at 4k is a great bike.

I wouldn't drop an extra 2k to save 200 grams (std mod to hi-mod).

Your plan in general seems quite awesome to me. It is an unbelievable bike.
    "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

mtbr member
    Yeah waiting myself for discounts on Di2 Supersix EVO 2013 but honestly 2014 models are boiling and I have a 20% off granted at my LBS.

I would not rush to get Zipps immediately,plenty of time to enjoy the bike for what it is. I would actually invest in a Hollogram crank right away.

Whatever you do please don't get the team replica,although beautiful that's too much of a poser bike imho and I'm sure it gets old quickly.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 04-08-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can you afford to replace that EVO frame if you crash it in a race????

Just sayin' because there are a lot of CAAD10 that get raced because they are way more reasonable to replace if you get in a pile up.

As for the wheels, don't get too fixed on the Zipps. There are many good road wheels out there. You could even go to a great custom set at Zipps prices.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What is your road background, any? Following up to ziscwg, I'll give you the ol' "try before you buy". I had plans to get a SS, but loved the CAAD10 so much when I tried it on a whim that I bought it instead and am using the difference saved towards a mountain bike. Of course, that hasn't stop me wanting to get an EVO still. I'm a long time road cyclist waiting for the shop to get in a F29er c3 for my first mtb, so I'm not likely the best person to give advice about not investing too much in a new discipline before finding out how much you are going to love it anyway (assuming this is the case)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Yeah waiting myself for discounts on Di2 Supersix EVO 2013 but honestly 2014 models are boiling and I have a 20% off granted at my LBS.

I would not rush to get Zipps immediately,plenty of time to enjoy the bike for what it is. I would actually invest in a Hollogram crank right away.

Whatever you do please don't get the team replica,although beautiful that's too much of a poser bike imho and I'm sure it gets old quickly.
    I'm certainly looking at getting the Hollowgram cranks as soon as possible. It's not a Cannondale without them! Just not sure wether to get a 2013 in the sales or wait for the 2014 models. It will be at least August until I make the move so I think I'll probably end up waiting for the 2014 models.

I agree with you actually. My Flash is the CFR paint job, but it isn't as recognised as the "Liquigas" colours. I don't wanna look like a chopper. I want something that's going to be a little understated, and more importantly unique. However, if the team replica comes down in the sales and they have my size, I might be tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Can you afford to replace that EVO frame if you crash it in a race????

Just sayin' because there are a lot of CAAD10 that get raced because they are way more reasonable to replace if you get in a pile up.

As for the wheels, don't get too fixed on the Zipps. There are many good road wheels out there. You could even go to a great custom set at Zipps prices.
    It wouldn't be an ideal situation, but I could probably worm my way out of it. I have looked at the CAAD10s. Could be a cheaper option, which is only a good thing. I'm not fixed on the Zipps, just throwing ideas around at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ARE. View Post
    What is your road background, any? Following up to ziscwg, I'll give you the ol' "try before you buy". I had plans to get a SS, but loved the CAAD10 so much when I tried it on a whim that I bought it instead and am using the difference saved towards a mountain bike. Of course, that hasn't stop me wanting to get an EVO still. I'm a long time road cyclist waiting for the shop to get in a F29er c3 for my first mtb, so I'm not likely the best person to give advice about not investing too much in a new discipline before finding out how much you are going to love it anyway (assuming this is the case)...
    My road background is about as extensive as your mtb background! This would be my first road bike. I'm getting it to get fitter and give myself a better engine to be faster on the mtb. It will be used for training rides, and racing. I want to race it because in my experience, you push yourself harder when racing and therefore, it's a great way of training. As I said, I am considering the CAAD10, but I want to get something that's going to last me, not something I'm going to want to replace in a years time. In saying that, I might hate it and want to sell my expensive Evo.... so I guess you can't win either way... That's why you post on forums like these, to talk to helpful riders like yourself
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....