mtbr member
    Apr 2011

HELP: Hollowgram SL crankarm removal

Hi

How do I get the crankarm off. I can only find instrutions for the SI arm (Tool: kt013).
    Is it the same tool for the SL arm? or donīt I need any tool? Donīt want to use the BIG hammer right away.

Kelso

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yep same tool. and it's better that than the BIG hammer, hammers are only good for f-ing expensive stuff up.

mtbr member
    You definitely do not need a hammer to remove the SL cranks. KT013 is correct.

Remove the crank bolt, thread the small part of the tool into the spindle, thread the bigger one into the crank arm, then use the inner part of the tool to back out the crank arm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thank you!
    Fast reply. Super!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    hammer only for the spindle ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had this same need today. After seeing the ridiculous price of the Cannondale removal "tool"/bolt, I started digging through my park tool set.

I found the CCP-44 crank puller and was able to successfully use it to remove my Hollowgram SL cranks. You can't use the tool as it's designed but you can unscrew the large bolt from the tool.

The threads match the threads of the Hollowgram SL cranks I have perfectly. So I hand threaded the bolt in and used a 7/8" socket to gently remove the cranks.

You're using steel inside of aluminum so I wouldn't put an air wrench to it or anything but the CCP-44 can be found for $14 and I think they have them at places like REI.

So it was definitely a better option than wasting $50 a couple of bolts.

Matter of fact I would venture you can go to a bolt store to match up the threads and get a bolt with a tapered end on it that would work nicely as well. To be extra safe, get a thin washer that fits in the hole and but it up to the bottome bracket so the bolt when it tightens pushes against the washer instead of contacting the bottom bracket. Just make sure the washer is thin so you get enough threads of the thread bolt into the crank before applying too much pressure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Idea! Cannondale Hollowgram

Great idea ...some of the shops almost seem reluctant to talk to you about their "special" Cannondale $50 tool. I bought the CCP-44 Park tool and came up with an extension to your idea. When I bought the Hollowgram crank they give you 3 choices of retaining nut, black, red and green. I'll never use the green one so I cut the flange off the nut and threaded that "nipple" into the BB and now I can use the Park tool as intended, works great and cost $12 and 5 minutes of my time.
    Last edited by Charlie19; 12-07-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Typo