mtbr member

New question here. Help! going back to 3 rings on prophet

I've been running my prophet for years with 2 rings and a bash guard.
    I had to get new cranks so I have decided to try the 3 ring set up for AM riding.

After I installed the new cranks, the front derailer will not shift the chain into the big ring.
    just eyeballing it, you can see that the big ring (44t) sits higher than the chain line.

small to middle shifting works fine.

I have a stock e-type front derailer mounted to the bb area. So I can't adjust the height.

My Prophet came stock with a 22,32,44 set up and the derailer is stock as well.

How do I adjust for the use of the bing ring??

thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dial the high limit screw out (left) 1/2 turn for starters. If it still dosnt go, then hit it with another 1/2 turn. It is hard to tell you what to fix when I cant se it, but high limit screw is where I'm going to put all of my marbles. It may require a few more 1/2 turns of the limit screw, but dont touch tension until the chain can engage the 44t.

mtbr member

limit screws

Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Dial the high limit screw out (left) 1/2 turn for starters. If it still dosnt go, then hit it with another 1/2 turn. It is hard to tell you what to fix when I cant se it, but high limit screw is where I'm going to put all of my marbles. It may require a few more 1/2 turns of the limit screw, but dont touch tension until the chain can engage the 44t.
    thanks will try right now...

UPDATE:

pure genius! It works. Shifts up and down from small to middle to big...and back down
    Now I noticed the brand new chain skips on the brand new cassette under heavy torque.

Should I shorten the chain a little?
    I'm so used to running 2 rings...I have no idea how to set this 3 ring system up!

thanks for the helpful tip...saved me a trip to the LBS.
    funny...I put the bb, cranks, pedals, and cassette on...but can't figure out to adjust a screw a 1/4 turn!
    Last edited by freeriderB; 07-22-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Mount Dora Florida
    Also remember the e-type bracket acts like a crank spacer. If I have an additional spacer on the drive side (along with the e-type ) my prophet will not engage the 44T gear either.

mtbr member

spacer

Quote Originally Posted by motobob13
    Also remember the e-type bracket acts like a crank spacer. If I have an additional spacer on the drive side (along with the e-type ) my prophet will not engage the 44T gear either.

yes thanks, I read that prior to installing.
    I'm running a single spacer on the non drive side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    thanks will try right now...

UPDATE:

pure genius! It works. Shifts up and down from small to middle to big...and back down
    Now I noticed the brand new chain skips on the brand new cassette under heavy torque.

Should I shorten the chain a little?
    I'm so used to running 2 rings...I have no idea how to set this 3 ring system up!

thanks for the helpful tip...saved me a trip to the LBS.
    funny...I put the bb, cranks, pedals, and cassette on...but can't figure out to adjust a screw a 1/4 turn!

If you were running two rings prior to installing it and you cut your new chain to the same length as your 2 ring setup, I would think you would want to add length to the new chain to accommodate the big ring, no?

mtbr member

chain

Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    If you were running two rings prior to installing it and you cut your new chain to the same length as your 2 ring setup, I would think you would want to add length to the new chain to accommodate the big ring, no?
    I did not cut the new chain to the same length.
    I do however, think I need to remove a few links though. It's at full size right now.
    research conducted showed a 44t chain ring combined with a 32 cassette needs ~ 52" of chain.

Does this sound right?