mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Smile Help with front mech for cannondale 2006 prophet 800

Hi I have just invested in a 2006 Cannondale Prophet 800, however the front mech has a large ammount of play in it and wont change down into the small ring i think that the bushings are very worn and i need a new front mech.

It currently is fitted with a shimano LX E-Type bb mounted bottom pull system. However i do not like this type of mech as it is not very adjustable when it wears.

This is where i need some help - can you fit a band type front mech, to this frame? as the clearance between the frame and the bb is minimal? any thoughts?

i was thinking of trying to fit band/top swing/bottom pull type like Shimano XT Front Derailleur Top Swing M770, any info would be great.

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had similar problems where you got em and with the cassette also, you do need a new front derailer and maybe a new crankset, I did and the problen is gone. on my Ptophet, i now have all Shimano XT stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Hope

thanks for the info, the crankset is new so i dont think that is the problem. definatly is the front mech. just need to know have you managed to fit a band type fitting to your frame?
    cheers

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarrry
    thanks for the info, the crankset is new so i dont think that is the problem. definatly is the front mech. just need to know have you managed to fit a band type fitting to your frame?
    cheers
    I don't have a Prophet but I ride its younger sister, and the front der. is seat tube mounted in that "tight" space.

'12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If I'm not mistaken, the Prophet has a stud sticking out of the seat tube that is the upper mounting point for the E-type front derailleur. Trying to mount a band-type front derailleur would not work because of it unless you were to grind that stud down, which would void your warranty.

Is the front derailleur adjusted correctly? If it is and the front mech is really that worn then the only thing you can do is to replace the mech with a new one of the same type.

One other thought: the E-type front mech is bolted onto the plate that is attached to the frame, from what I understand. Could these bolts be loose, causing your shifting problems?

Ridin' dirty!
    Regular fd won't work unless you only run 2 rings and a bash guard or something.
    Been there, done that had to grind the heck out of the fd to make it fit in "that tight space".
    I run a XT now and have zero issues.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Regular fd won't work unless you only run 2 rings and a bash guard or something.
    Been there, done that had to grind the heck out of the fd to make it fit in "that tight space".
    I run a XT now and have zero issues.
    thanks for the info - so are you using the E-type then on your bike as standard or does the XT top swing mounted M770 fit?

cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    I don't have a Prophet but I ride its younger sister, and the front der. is seat tube mounted in that "tight" space.

thanks for the info and the pic , does the seat tube have the raised bosses for the bolt fittings like the prophet does? for the fitting of the E-Type BB mounted front mech? my concern is that this might affect the ability to clamp the bracket to the seat tube. however if yours is the same then i think that i might be ok
    cheers

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarrry
    thanks for the info - so are you using the E-type then on your bike as standard or does the XT top swing mounted M770 fit?

cheers

As long as it's e-type it should work.
    most can be used as bottom and top pull.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    As long as it's e-type it should work.
    most can be used as bottom and top pull.
    thanks great tip :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, need a bit of help here guys!

Currently run 32t single on my prophet and want to switch to 22/32/bash and a fd. I'm running an adapter plate to get ISCG mounts for an e13 inside my Hollowtech2-bearings so I don't think an e-type will fit.

Now if I go for a conventional mech, is it a TOP-SWING configuration 31,8mm I need? What pull, down or up?

Thanks for any help..
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    One other thought: the E-type front mech is bolted onto the plate that is attached to the frame, from what I understand. Could these bolts be loose, causing your shifting problems?
    Exactly, it is easy to miss that your FD actually moved/rotated from the original position! Mine has so much play but it shifts fine.

Fix that Cdale...
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!