CAK
    Reign Rider

Help...Fork Decision.

Well, I'm ready to dump the Ultra Fatty Headshock on my '03 F600.

I'm trying to decide between these forks:

Lefty DLR Ti

Marzocchi Mx Comp w/ETA 100mm

Manitou Minute 2:00

I've ridden the Marzocchi and like the ETA and plushness, plus Mazocchi is 10 minuets from my house for repairs if needed. The only drawback is it's weight.

I havn't had the chance to ride the Lefty and was questioning is tunability and reliability.

Don't know much about the Minute.

The Marzocchi is also about $300.00 cheaper than the rest.

I ride mostly S. California single track stuff with knarly baby's heads, rutts and studder bumps, the headshock was killing me.

Any help would be appreciated.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Depends on what you want out of your fork. If you're seeking ultimate plushness then go with the Marzocchi. If you're looking for the best handling go with the Lefty. And if you're looking for a decent compromise fork go with the Manitou. I've ridden all three and have to say I've liked them all, though the Lefty is still my fork of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CAK
    Well, I'm ready to dump the Ultra Fatty Headshock on my '03 F600.

I'm trying to decide between these forks:

Lefty DLR Ti

Marzocchi Mx Comp w/ETA 100mm

Manitou Minute 2:00

I've ridden the Marzocchi and like the ETA and plushness, plus Mazocchi is 10 minuets from my house for repairs if needed. The only drawback is it's weight.

I havn't had the chance to ride the Lefty and was questioning is tunability and reliability.

Don't know much about the Minute.

The Marzocchi is also about $300.00 cheaper than the rest.

I ride mostly S. California single track stuff with knarly baby's heads, rutts and studder bumps, the headshock was killing me.

Any help would be appreciated.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

CAK
    Reign Rider
    How's the tunability with the lefty compared to the marzocchi? Are they simular in feel? The lefty sounds nice but i'm hearing nightmare stories with reliability and maintenance. I know my headshock was just rebuilt by Cannondale which took them three weeks. I'd rather not go through that for a minimal gain in performance. Price is an issue as well, the cost of a new front wheel/hub.

mtbr member
    Reliabilty problems with the lefty where are you hearing this at? Cannondale forks are in my opinion the most reliable on the market, people run them for years with out problems(i am one of them). You don't have the exposed stanctions and seals to worry with and they have very little air leakage problems. I will admit there are plusher forks out there, but nothing that compares to reliability and stiffness.

R.I.P. DogFriend

If you're ten minutes from Marzocchi,

If you're ten minutes from Marzocchi, you're either nine or eleven minutes from Manitou as they are in the same industrial center.

In my case, Manitou is about seven minutes away and Marzocchi is about eight minutes away.

I recently swapped out my Headshock for a Minute One on my Super V for the same reason and I am thrilled at the results. For an F600, the Minute 2 should be great. You should be able to use a Minute 1 if you wished and leave it at 100mm for mopst conditions and crank it out for the gnarly stuff. There's no compromise in spring rate at the shorter settings and it would be a coil for $50 cheaper than the Minute 2 although slightly heavier. The axle to crown measurement at 100mm is about the same as my Headshock at 80mm. The performance difference is as though I have a new bike.

Pick any fork you want, but unless you're a real WW or are racing on non-technical terrain, ditch the Headshock, I wish I had seen the light long ago. You'll see the front end bounce around on any single crown fork compared to the Headshock, but you'll still have better control and be faster to boot.

CAK
    Reign Rider
    I have the chance to score a Fox Float RLC 100mm, how does this fork compare to the Minute? Would it be a good match as far as crown to axle height? This fork weighs 3.5lbs. I'm assuming I'll have to use the Crane Creek double X headset for this application. Any other headset's that will work which don't weigh 250 grams?

Thanks

mtbr member

lefty

let me start by saying that i have ridden the lefty for about 4 years now, and headshock before that. before that i had never ridden a c-dale. i don't know where the reliability issue came from, because it is quite opposite. i have ridden this lefty for 4 years with no maint ( i never even greased the stansion, which i should have) i have had no problems, and the only reason i am getting ready to send it back to c-dale to get rebuilt is becuase it has been 4 years with a lot of miles. search for posts on the lefty and you will see why so many people love it after they ride it--for performance and reliability ; there's nothing better
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. Seen the light on Super Fatty Ultra DL?

Can you or others elaborate on " I wish I had seen the light long ago" with regard to Super Fatty Ultra DL? I just ordered a 2004 F600SL but it has not come in yet. I am just getting into MTB but dig it and am hoping to do some singletrack once a week along with my road riding (on a road bike).

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    If you're ten minutes from Marzocchi, you're either nine or eleven minutes from Manitou as they are in the same industrial center.

In my case, Manitou is about seven minutes away and Marzocchi is about eight minutes away.

I recently swapped out my Headshock for a Minute One on my Super V for the same reason and I am thrilled at the results. For an F600, the Minute 2 should be great. You should be able to use a Minute 1 if you wished and leave it at 100mm for mopst conditions and crank it out for the gnarly stuff. There's no compromise in spring rate at the shorter settings and it would be a coil for $50 cheaper than the Minute 2 although slightly heavier. The axle to crown measurement at 100mm is about the same as my Headshock at 80mm. The performance difference is as though I have a new bike.

Pick any fork you want, but unless you're a real WW or are racing on non-technical terrain, ditch the Headshock, I wish I had seen the light long ago. You'll see the front end bounce around on any single crown fork compared to the Headshock, but you'll still have better control and be faster to boot.

R.I.P. DogFriend

Elaborate? Yeah, I'll take a stab at it... :D

If I were racing a hardtail on relatively non-technical terrain and therefore caring only about taking the edge off of smallish bumps and being pretty efficient as well as lightweight for climbing, the Headshock might fit the bill quite nicely, but that is not me.

I have the Super Fatty (non-ultra). I donít race and I am not a weight weenie. I ride some terrain that would be considered technical and rocky. I loved the precision of the Headshock in that the front wheel did not deflect anything like it will with a traditional single crown suspension fork. The problem with the Headshock FOR ME is that it is an 80mm travel fork mated to a 120mm travel rear suspension and the Headshock is not particularly plush. Mine is an air spring type that I had to pump up to at least 215psi and I have used it at up to 250psi.

I now have a fork that I can adjust the travel from 100mm (the axle to crown measurement with the new fork at 100mm is the same as the Headshock at 80mm) to 130mm which strikes a much better balance with the 120mm travel I have at the rear of the bike. When I ride the same trails I have been riding since 1996, the same trails I have been riding my current bike on for a little more than five years, I am instantly faster riding down the same trails. I can pick lines on those trails with considerable ease that I was never able to negotiate previously and just let Ďer rip.

I never suspected the fork was holding me back like it was. The reason I found it out at all was that I was given an opportunity to ride a 2004 Giant VT1 for a week. I purposely rode the trails I am most familiar with to see how it would handle in familiar terrain. I was really most interested in how the Swinger shock with the SPV would compare to my old Vanilla coil shock with regards to pedal induced bobbing. I was able to filter out much of the bob on the VT1, but what impressed me most was the Minute One fork. The increased pedaling efficiency was noticeable, but not earth shattering like I hoped it might be. But the control I had descending pasted a big smile on my face I hadnít seen in a while.

I was pedaling for speed in sections of trail where I previously used the brakes to scrub off speed and this was with the stock Scorpion tires I was prepared to hate. I rode a local downhill course and I would usually be able to smell my disc brakes at some points because they would get so hot. I could usually stop and sprinkle a few drops from my Camelbak and have steam hiss from the rotors. Not now, not even a hint of steam. Why? I was not riding the brakes because I didnít have to (the 04 VT1 and my bike both have Hayes hydraulic brakes with 160mm rotors). I came to the conclusion that my bike and the VT1 were of similar rear suspension design in the rear (single beam cantilever with a somewhat similar low pivot position) suspension and the real difference was in the forks.

So my dilemma was whether or not to buy a new bike like the VT1 or maybe a 5 Spot for at least $3K or upgrade mine for less than half the cost and keep it for a few more years. I chose the upgrade route and replaced the fork and rear shock (Minute One fork and a Swinger 4-Way Air shock) and am very pleased with the results front and rear, but especially in the fork.

Thatís why it was best for me to ditch the Headshock. Your situation could be entirely different, especially with a hardtail.
    Last edited by jeffj; 04-28-2004 at 06:00 PM.

ceteris paribus
    True, I ride a Headshock Ultra SI on a CAAD4 Hartail, and the handling is just sweet. Plus it's very light so it helps a lot on climbs.