mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well Help finding a part for the Fox Alps 5R for my Raven.

I'm trying to find a replacement frame reducer for my OE Fox Alps 5R shock on my Raven. The current bushings have developed play and it sucks. Called Fox, they don't have any 'cause the shock is too old. I don't want to buy a new shock 'cause I hardly spent any money on this bike as it is .

I'll probably try to find a machine shop and see if they'll make them for me, but I wanted to see if anyone had any of these or could get them made cheap or anything really.

I'd also like to know if anyone has run into this problem and what you did.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about I uploaded a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Did Fox say the dimensions had changed? All their current shocks use the same DU bushing, and thus the same press fit sizers. If you have a buddy with a modern Fox, have them pull it off, and pop out the alloy sizers. If they fit nice and snug in yours, or the same as your beat ones, just measure the distance between the shock mounts(in mm's), and order new DU's and the closest sizers you can, then file them to fit.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

thanks.

I finally found a local machine shop yesterday, and the guy said that he could custom make them for me, about $25-30 probably for all four.

then when I was there, one other guy was like "Is that cracked?" I looked and sure enough, it is! I couldn't believe it! So I'll make another thread w/ the pics about the cracked shock to see if you guys think I should risk riding it, but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

thanks again for the help!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yoeddie
    So I'll make another thread w/ the pics about the cracked shock to see if you guys think I should risk riding it, but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.
    New shock time, no question.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

still looking?

Hey yoeddie, not sure if you are still looking, but I sent you a PM on a possible source for a Alps 5R.
    Last edited by superv43; 12-17-2006 at 06:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by superv43
    Hey yoeddie, not sure if you are still looking, but I sent you a PM on a possible source for a Alps 5R.
    Oh wow - I never got the pm, sorry. Yeah, I'd be interested, thanks. Maybe post up on here? I'll look into why the pm function isn't working.