mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Help choose - 2010 or 2011 Flash Carbon 2 or 3

Hi all,

First post here, so go easy

I'm about to pull the trigger on either a 2010 Flash Carbon HM 2 (with appropriate discount for an outgoing model). But the 2011 models are about to be released in the next 2 months or so.

My priorities are low weight and a good level of quality specification, particularly the wheelset.

So, what direction are the 2011 models going in? Up in price, but down in specification? That would make a 2010 model a good buy, right?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks, I'm a potential first time Cannondale buyer!

Dave.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The new 2011 HM C2 comes pretty well spec'd. X0 2x10, DT Swiss wheels.

The 2011 flash C3 is like the 2010 Flash C2 but no DT Swiss wheels and a Shimano 2x10 drivetrain. Not my preference but maybe you like Stan's wheels and Shimano components.

But I'd actually check the facts before doing anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks kuan,

I've never used tubeless, so not really fussed either way, I have nothing against Shimano componentry, it's never let me down particularly.

I don't want to go for a 2010 if I'm missing out on some whizz bang improvements, or perhaps an even lower weight.

How do Stan's wheels stack up against the 2010 model wheels?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Personally I don't think tubeless matters on a bike meant for hardpack. But I'm an intermediate level rider at best. The 2011 C3 bike comes with Stans'd up Sun Ringle wheels. The wheels are kinda blah if you ask me. About the same level as WTB from my perspective. Also Stan's sealant is a PITA to work with. I don't know about UST tires, but from what I hear they require sealant too. But you can always run tubes anyway.

So for the price I would rule out the 2011 C3 because of its wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks again kuan. Decisions decisions. It's not made any easier by the lack of info forthcoming from Cannondale, either.

mtbr member
    I'm not terribly familiar with the spec of those bikes (I'm waiting on a 2011 Flash Carbon 29er 2), but I'd chime in re: the wheels. You want tubeless. That's especially the case on a hardtail, as it will allow you to run lower pressure without worrying about pinch flats, which will in turn give a more comfortable ride. I've run Stan's sealant for the last 4 seasons with zero issues; I know for a fact that it's saved me from several flats, so I'm not sure how it's a PITA. Stan's systems work well and are among the lightest going, which is an additional bonus on a weight-weenie bike like the Flash. Schwalbe and Conti are coming out with nice, light, tubeless-ready tire options too.