mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Help - can't find replacement headset bearings!

The headset bearings in my rush are dead and I can't identify which ones I need or find any replacements.

The frame is a 2009 carbon rush 3 fitted with 1/8 fox floats. The headset appears to be some sort of reducer to convert the size down to fit the floats. It is simply labelled "cane creek" with no model or part numbers on it. Inside there are two sealed cartridge bearings, these are very corroded and I can't read all of the inscription on them. As best I can work out they are labelled Tange Seiki 4T5-5, they both appear to be the same and have small chamfers on one inside and one outside face.

I am assuming the 4t5 means both chamfers are 45 degrees? They certainly look the same and this rules out most of the common 45/36 replacement bearings. I tried ordering cane creek 45 degree bearings for the IS2i headset but the outside diameter of those (42mm) seems to be too big and the cartridges won't fit in the headset. I also looked at a campy compatible cartridge that my lbs had in stock but again that was too wide and also far deeper.

I am now completely at a loss as to what bearing I need and where in the UK I can get some from. Without replacement bearings the bike is completely unrideable. I've even tried to work out whether I can just order a completely new headset but have found conflicting stories about whether the cups are bonded in and which headsets have the correct insertion depth for the carbon frames.

Can anyone help?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Contact Your local Cannondale dealer, they should be able to figure it out. If anything else fails, contact Cannondale directly. They information is on they website...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Way late but for anyone who has this question it is likely a Tange made headset as that is what I have (Tange Falcon) and the bearing read 4T5, therefore it may be worth contacting Tange.They are huge and produce many other branded headsets- like Cane Creak. Mines made in Japan so they must be pretty good.